am I crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I crazy

Just wondering if I was crazy for wanting a fixed bridge instead of the jackson tremolo system. or for that matter if it would even be possible to retrofit. I just have never used the tremolo. 1987ish jackson custom shop strat.

No, you're not crazy - it's whatever works for you. And you can retrofit a microwave oven onto your guitar, if you have the skills or the budget. Or the reason But to a degree, the viability of installing a fixed bridge will depend on the neck angle.

Whatever, depending on the guitar in question, it might be a shame to mod it.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Why not just block the bridge so it doesn't move? Thats the correct solution to your problem - and there's nothing more "fixed" than a blocked floyd.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Neilli: I agree about modding it from the original configuration (it is a sweet guitar), but how it is now is not working for me...maybe the microwave idea would work

Grandturk: what is the correct way to block a floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by jaydillon View Post

Grandturk: what is the correct way to block a floyd?
          Stuff something (like a wood block) between the trem block and the body of the guitar - underneath the springs. Tighten the spring claw so the trem doesn't dip when you bend the strings. Done.

You can lock the nut and use the fine tuners, or you can leave the nut open for alternate tunings - Drop D, etc.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Been meaning to pick one up since they were released, but keep forgetting.
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

By blocking the trem the way GT stated you are essentially having the sustain block making contact with the wood block and it contacts the body at that helps to improve the vibration of the whole guitar.The more vibration the better the tone.IMO
              Tremol-no's do their job well but wont improve the vibration factor.
              GT's advice is the cheapest and best way to block a trem.
              Not only improving vibration transfer if you break a string the guitar will stay in tune.
              Final note modding an original guitar being that it is an SD plated Ontario guitar their numbers are finite and guitars from this era are the next vintage ones to be ones to collect.
              I deal with high end collectors on a weekly basis and all are watching these very guitars,80's SD Jackson's and SD plated Ontario Jackson's
              Including 80's Kramers,Robbin's,Roscoe's.
              Just a heads up.
              Last edited by straycat; 09-16-2009, 01:43 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

How about a tremolo stopper? You should get the extra vibration and not really muck up a collectible.

Comment

Working...
                X