kind of disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kind of disappointed

In the past few years I've purchased 4 USA Jackson's. A black SL1('07), a transparent green DK1('08), a gray snakeskin DK1('08), and very recently, a gray snakeskin SL2H(Aug.'09).

Here's my dilemma. The black SL1 had no problems and was a great guitar but I sold it a few years ago to buy other gear (probably should have kept that one).

The trans green DK1 was a beautiful guitar but the strings were not properly aligned with the neck. The high E practically hung off the fretboard. Either the nut was not installed correctly or the Floyd was off a bit.

The gray snakeskin DK1 had neck issues. It played great for a month or so then I started noticing a ridiculous amount of buzzing. The neck was back bowed. Adjusted the neck and it was ok for a week and then right back to a back bow. Went through this a few times. I had a 2 luthiers look at at it and their general consensus was that the neck was simply bad.

So my next and most recent attempt at a USA Jackson led me to a SL2H. This one has a split/crack in the fretboard on the 5th fret under the high E string. The crack runs from the 4th fret to the 5th running with the grain. This guitar is getting returned for a full refund.

This is a total bummer. I love the way these guitars play, etc. but I can't believe I've run into such bad luck with getting a guitar with no issues. My guitars are taken care of properly and kept in a climate/humidity controlled environment so I can't point the finger at myself. It's really sad because the playability of these guitars is so great and I wanted to start using Jackson's as my main guitars but it looks like I can't. I remember a few weeks ago seeing a post from someone else who had a split in the fretboard too. I think it was a USA Warrior??..I do remember the guitar being green in color.

I wonder if I'm alone here with these problems. It's too bad that I'm almost losing total faith in some of my favorite playing guitars Guess I'll be playing my 20 year old+ Gunslingers for the time being...although I really prefer 24 frets. But 20 years later, never once had any issue what-so-ever with the BC's except having to replace a pickup in one of them and a volume pot.
    2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
    BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
    BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
    Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
    Kramer Sustainer American-black

That sucks. I've had no problems thus far with the only new Jackson I've ever owned - my Adrian Smith.

I would say that you've had a string of bad luck. They all sound like warranty issues. Did you pursue them thusly?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

My first DK1 seemed to have an issue with the high (little) e string where it sounded somewhat dead, but only when playing it without an amp. Through an amp it seemed ok. I found that I just needed to adjust the saddle on the floyd a bit and that got rid of most of it. It seemed to be inline with the neck though, so I didn't know why it sounded like that. I thought it was a flaw, but played a couple other DK1s that had the same issue, so I didn't think much about it.

When I got my 2nd DK1, there were no issues at all, so I figured it must be the neck on the first one. I guess I could have swapped necks to see if made a difference, but didn't think of it. I did swap floyds on them though and the floyd from the 2nd guitar made the e string on the first guitar sound ok. So I again was baffled. (floyd issue?) :think:

I ended up selling the first DK1 to pay some bills, so I don't think about it now.
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

You must have smashed a mirror or something. No bad luck with my Jacksons, but all of mine were bought used. I guess that makes them battle tested.

Comment

Sorry you've had such bad luck. I've encountered every issue you've mentioned, though, and none has led me to send a guitar back yet. Maybe my experiences have been less severe than your's but...

High E too close to fretboard edge: this is usually a simple neck adjustment. Unscrew the neck, re-align, re-tighten. Pretty common issue when bolt-ons are shipped and/or travel around in cars a lot. It only takes a medium "bang" inside the case to throw a neck out of alignment.

Neck bows: usually this is a simple truss rod adjustment. And, in upstate NY, you've got to expect to adjust your guitars with the seasons. If not, you've just gotten lucky. Every neck is different, every piece of wood different. Some are more susceptible to seasonal changes than others, especially oiled necks. I've got super-highly figured flame maple and birdseye necks that never move at all. And I've got one particular plain quartersawn maple neck that (frustratingly) seems to move every couple of months. The neck doesn't seem to be "bad" though - it just needs more routine adjustment/maintenance than most.

Fretboard cracks: this is extremely common on ebony fretboards, and perhaps even more so with the New England seasons and forced hot air furnaces in homes. That dries out a fretboard right quick. It's also an easy fix, and one which will be nearly un-noticable once done correctly.

Comment

Yeah, they were all warranty issues. At the time, a close friend of mine managed a store that was an authorized Jackson dealer so he took care of getting me refunds.
            After the second DK1 return I bought an Ibanez JEM which has been a bulletproof guitar so far. I've got hours upon hours of playtime on the Jem and have no problems at all with it.
            All in all, the necks on the DK1's are right up there as my all time favorites. I'm sure anyone could agree that plopping down 2 grand on one of these guitars after 3 duds is a little discouraging.
            The real catch here is no dealer in upstate NY (or really anywhere for that matter) stocks these so trying before you buy isn't an option.
            I'll probably attempt one last time to get another DK1 sometime in the future. Don't see any decent deals out there on any and I'll probably opt for the Nebula finish if I can find one.
            Still outrageously pissed that you can't get a DK1 with the lightning sky finish anymore.
            Wish me luck...I'm going to need it

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm sure with some tweaking, all those guitars could have been fixed. But, with these guitars all hovering in the two thousand dollar range, and brand new, I expect, as a consumer, a product that is perfect out of the case. I really liked all the guitars, even with their flaws, but for the kind of money they cost, immediate repairs is not something I am willing to deal with. I don't mind doing set ups,etc on used guitars or even minor adjustments to a new one to suit me better but the ones I've received obviously slipped through the quality control dept.
              And yes...I did break a mirror a while back...and the other day I walked under a ladder...come to think of it too, a black cat ran out in front of me. Yup. Guess I'm screwed huh?
              Funny, a few guys I know have some import Jacksons..dk2m's,pro series....flawless construction. I go for the U.S. stuff and get nightmares.
              I'll try again though, one more time. This time when I commit to buy, I'll have my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by usa dk1 View Post
                Oh yeah, I'm sure with some tweaking, all those guitars could have been fixed. But, with these guitars all hovering in the two thousand dollar range, and brand new, I expect, as a consumer, a product that is perfect out of the case. I really liked all the guitars, even with their flaws, but for the kind of money they cost, immediate repairs is not something I am willing to deal with.
                +1
                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

It's a damned shame. Sorry to hear about your frustrations.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

That sucks. Makes me wonder if I should ever buy a brand new USA Jackson, just keep buying used ones.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

structural faults not acceptable on 2K guitars

"That sucks. Makes me wonder if I should ever buy a brand new USA Jackson, just keep buying used ones" -

Cheaper , but the second hand one cannot be fixed under warranty.

Comment

Yeah but at least with the used one, you kinda expect it to need something. A brand new one shouldn't have problems like that.

I'd say it's just bad luck. Someone has to have it, and you got it. Maybe it's a passing fancy, maybe you're just S.O.L. with Jacksons entirely. Only one way to find out.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My custom shop King V fret board cracked.
                          But i just sent it back to them and they fixed it.
                          From what they told me they had a bad run of ebony.
                          that was in 2005

Comment

I was originally led to believe they were picky over the quality of woods. If there was an inconsistency, it got scrapped. Are Jackson no longer so picky?
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

UPDATE:
                              So I sent the guitar back to the (for the time being, un-named) dealer. I have also contacted Jackson directly seeking their assistance. The dealer refuses to refund my money and insists on offering store credit. They do NOT have a replacement available, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm out almost two thousand dollars and nothing to show for it. Since I've bought this guitar, I've had house issues that need attention (plumbing/electrical) which I could use the refund money to take care of. I don't want their store credit nor a replacement (which would take however long?). I feel like this place is so hard up for a sale that they have to screw people over to make money. The rep's I spoke with from Jackson said that once they receive the defective guitar from the dealer that they will issue them credit but the dealer insists on playing the manipulation game to keep my money. Absolute bullshit. If I bought a guitar and then decided I just don't like it, I guess I'd have to be victim to the store credit only policy, but when I spend money on something and receive a defective item, I EXPECT a refund or at the very least, an IMMEDIATE replacement. This has all taken place within a 30 day period. I pulled this from their ebay feedback...funny that they'll give this individual their money back with no problems but won't refund mine: quote from ebay feedback: BUYER BEWARE. Sold me a damaged guitar and hard case. Won't answer my emails.Buyer: b***** ( 344)
                              Jan-04-09 10:17
                              • Reply by ************* (Jan-05-09 19:25):

Out of the Office Over Holiday. Sorry! If Damaged Item Can Be Returned w/Refund

-- (#260331020217)

I left the name of the business off this, but if they decide to play hardball, I will relentlessly disclose their shady business practices to as many avenues as possible to at least help protect other unsuspecting people from getting taken advantage of. I will also report them to the better business bureau and pursue legal action, that won't be too hard considering my best friends wife is an attorney. In all my years of playing guitar, I've never had a dealer pull a stunt like this. I had a very heated conversation with a certain individual at this shop demanding my money be refunded to my paypal acct....they have an hour an a half to decide on an outcome before I pursue this with a serious level of business agression.

Comment

Working...
                              X