Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guitar Day! With annoying problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guitar Day! With annoying problem...

Hey guys, just got a KV2, and I love it, it looks so awesome, and plays really well. The annoying part is that there is some fret buzz which is really bad on the 6th string. The neck does not look warped (from what I can tell). The guitar was shipped with the strings in tune, but the locking nut loosened. Any ideas on how to fix this? I love everything else though ! Paid £800 for it, in minty mint condition
    Pics:

Last edited by kurney; 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM.

Fret buzz is one of those things - you either can deal with it or you can't.

If you can't, or if it is hurting the playability of the guitar, you will have to make adjustments. The first thing to do is to identify where the string is buzzing - i.e. high frets or low frets? First fret? One random fret in the middle of the neck? Each symptom is treated by a different cure - truss rod, bridge height, nut height, level and crown.

I always ask myself - do I hear the buzz through the amp? and does the buzz significantly hamper the vibration of the string? I usually get my guitars to the point where I can say "no" to both questions, but ALL of my guitars buzz somewhere.

Congrats on the killer KV, BTW.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

The buzz through the amp is there and it's around the 5th fret on the E which is worst. It sounds pretty minging.
      Thanks Mate

Comment

Is it only the 5th fret that buzzes? i.e. the 6th fret might be high?
        Blank yo!

Comment

If it's just one string on one fret, check that the string didn't get bent around the fret before it causing it to be lower when fretted. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've run across this problem.

Comment

There's a bit of buzz all over the E, and not so bad on the other strings.

Comment

Looks v. nice that one. Get a tech to look at it. You know itll bug you for ever unless you sort it. Might be a simple fix or perhaps this is why it ended up on the bay looking so minty.

Comment

I think it is actually a lot worse in some spots, I think the frets need leveling, can I do this myself?

Comment

Originally posted by kurney View Post
                  I think it is actually a lot worse in some spots, I think the frets need leveling, can I do this myself?
                  Yes, you can do it yourself... technically... But if you're asking that question, then you should bring it to a tech. IMO the cost of the tools to get started are about = to the cost of a level and crown.

And it may not need it - add a turn to the height of the bridge on the bass side.

JazzNoise will tell you that your low E saddles should be shimmed anyway to be the correct radius - so you coul do that as well.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    ALL of my guitars buzz somewhere.

Seriously? Do you have ridiculously low action on them all? I only have buzz on a couple of guitars.

To the OP, I would try raising the bridge a little, see if that solves the problem.
                    And congrats on an awesome guitar!
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                      Seriously? Do you have ridiculously low action on them all? I only have buzz on a couple of guitars.
                      Absolutely. I have my action at 1.5mm or lower (measured with a pick) at the High E on the 12th fret. I don't bend more than 1 step, so if it frets out after that, I don't care.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Tried a turn or two on the bridge, didn't do much unfortunately
                        Thanks for your help so far guys

Comment

Originally posted by kurney View Post
                          There's a bit of buzz all over the E, and not so bad on the other strings.
                          You can also try to shim the E saddle if the buzz affects this sting only.

Comment

I will look in to that one.
                            Thanks very much

Comment

If you've raised your bridge a bit, it shouldn't still be buzzing if you've raised it enough - you should be able to see where it's vibrating against.

check the string lock blocks on the nut make sure it isn't grooved, also make sure the nut is secured to the neck.

If it is a high fret or something it should be pretty simple to find -
                              gl, and nice axe!

Comment

Working...
                              X