Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL2H with MOP Sharkies and logo - what's with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H with MOP Sharkies and logo - what's with this?

Like the title says, my local GC has an SL2H with mother of pearl sharkies and logo, yet it doesn't say "Custom Shop" on the headstock. The graphic is Green Ghost Flames.

So what's the story on this?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

The Green Ghost Flame finish was available as a standard finish back in 2002-2003, I believe. It was discontinued afterwards and so the only way you could get it was to order from the custom shop. Chances are it is a production model from that time, doesn't have to be a custom shop. If it is a good price, I'd get it....I love the earlier Green Ghost Flame models that they made with abalone inlays, though... although those are quite hard to come by.
    Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

The story?

All SL2H come with MOP sharkies and logo. :think:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        The story?

All SL2H come with MOP sharkies and logo. :think:
        Okay, excuse my ignorance. I ALWAYS get confused between MOP and abalone.

This is the really shiny, pearl-looking material. I own three USA Soloists and they're not this shiny. Think of pearl or pearloid.

Comment

Like DC said, it was a standard finish that came with mop sharkfins and logo. Check out the serial # which should be stamped into the last fret. It should start with a U for a USA production model or J for a custom shop piece. If it's in good shape and a decent price, consider grabbing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            Okay, excuse my ignorance. I ALWAYS get confused between MOP and abalone.

This is the really shiny, pearl-looking material. I own three USA Soloists and they're not this shiny. Think of pearl or pearloid.
            MOP is pearl white.

Abalone comes in green, red, black, etc.

I've seen custom shop guitars come with a green finish and green abalone inlays.

So is it MOP or abalone on this guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              MOP is pearl white.

Abalone comes in green, red, black, etc.

I've seen custom shop guitars come with a green finish and green abalone inlays.

So is it MOP or abalone on this guitar?
              I guess I'm still brain farting here. I have three USA's. They all have the same look on the sharks and the Jackson logo. It's basically white but somewhat pearly looking. This one looks very different. If it's the same as what I have, it's an extreme version of it. It practically sparkles.

If any of you are convenient to the Knoxville GC and they still have it, check it out. In fact, grab it if you want because I'm not a taker. I *think* the price was $1199.99.

Comment

Some MOP is just brighter or more figured than others. I don't think Jackson has ever inlaid MOTO logos either US or import, so if it is an inlaid logo you are pretty much guaranteed it's MOP or possibly abalone. Abalone has a lot of darker swirls and colour shifts though.

Here is a breakdown of the types generally available...

Last edited by Hellbat; 10-04-2009, 11:21 AM.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X