Pickup for a KE2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for a KE2...

Hi guys, I've got a KE2 coming soon and I'm going to replace the JB in it. We tune down a whole step and the JB's bass is too flabby in low tunings, so I'm looking for something else with a tighter low end for hard rock and metal. I'm thinking of going with the Duncan SH-6, or EMG's. I've got EMG's in 3 of 4 guitars and they are great for what we do, but I want a little more versatility so that's why I'm considering the SH-6. Would an SH-6 be too bright in the KE2 (flame maple top on alder body)? I'm thinking it would be fine since the Kelly is a bigger body than the Rhoads (got an RR5 with an SH-6 and it's kind of bright probably due to the short treble side wing). What do you Kelly players use, and do you have any recommendations for me, maybe something I haven't considered or thought of? Thanks in advance.

Mark

Full Shred or an L500XL/Dimebag from anyone (does it really matter?).

The Duncan Distortion will have more meat. I don't think it will be too bright.

Comment

Try the JB before you change it. Every JB I have is different and they suit different guitars differently. If you dont like it then change it out. The full Shred is an excellent pickup as is the Distortion. Everyone ears are different.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
        Try the JB before you change it.
        +1

I've got stock Pup's in my favorite Ke2(the guitar I play the most), they sound incredible. I've installed a set of sh6 on a rr3 and really enjoy the sound of them. However, as many will agree ~ tone is something that's personal(what I like you may not, etc...)

Personally I did not like a dimebucker I'd installed in a ke3. Emg's(if you like them) sound good in a kelly, I like the 81/85 combo best.
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

The JB is really good for the kind of music you play. I play in a thrashmetalband and have 3 KE2's with the stock pick-ups. It's amazing the amount of bass you get out of it and it is really tight.
          I use a triaxis-->Rocktron Hush--> Triaxis--> BBE 482i--> Mesa 2:90--> Kool & Elfring Custom Cabinet 412XXL.
          The bass is huge, responsive and tight. the rest is also brilliant. I really love the Kelly's and the Pick-ups in it. give it a chance and try to change some other things maybe You will not be disappointed.

Comment

The Dimarzio Evolutions have always done well for me in whatever tuning I was using. They have great response across the whole spectrumand I've found them great with everything from clean to recto style distortion settings. Overall, they're my favorite pickup.
            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

I have one of Marty Friedman's Kellys and it has a JB in it. Sounds great! As others said, try the JB then switch it out later if you don't like it. Full Shred is not what I'd replace it with though, I had one in a Rhoads and it sounded pretty weak.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
              X