Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys WTH is/has been going on w RRTs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys WTH is/has been going on w RRTs?

I was helping someone elsewhere on a RRT purchase when I stumbled on a new to me/old to most discovery. The RRT tailpiece is placed way off in this aesthetically terrible location right up against the ass of the guitar. This is a major deviation from the true design conceived by Randy and Grover, and though I have seen it before on cheaper models (RR5s), I had never noticed that it actually is on current US series Rhoads models as well!

For those of you in the dark about what I am talking about, compare the picture of my 92 PCS set up the way God, Randy, and Grover intended:

... with the tailpiece location of this:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...uct=2803061803

When did they start doing this crap? Why did they start doing this crap? Did they start with the cheaper models and leave the US alone at first, or did they change the line in one fell swoop?

My guess is that the change happened all at once when/after Fender acquired Jackson and it probably affected all guitars at once. I suspect the motivation was a cost-cutting measure so they could use the same jackplate for all models (stringthrough and tremolo) instead of having two seperate jackplates.

I am very curious to get to the bottom of this and would gladly call and post if someone could give me their customer service contact info (email/phone #). Your input is appreciated too.
    '02 Jackson KV2
    '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
    '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

Well, it would decrease the breakover angle and keep the strings from hitting the back of the TOM on their way to the tailpiece. Over on the Les Paul Forum, this would be paramount to tone.

Randy/Grover didn't design it with a Floyd either. Are you pissed about that too?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by V-man View Post
      My guess is that the change happened all at once when/after Fender acquired Jackson and it probably affected all guitars at once. I suspect the motivation was a cost-cutting measure so they could use the same jackplate for all models (stringthrough and tremolo) instead of having two seperate jackplates.
      Have a problem? Blame Fender.

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

When did they start doing this crap? Why did they start doing this crap? Did they start with the cheaper models and leave the US alone at first, or did they change the line in one fell swoop?

What the hell are you talking about? The RR1T didn't come around in the lineup until the year 2000. Fender didn't buy Jackson until November 2002.
          Kirk Hammett's '85 Custom Rhoads looks the same as the RR1T.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The bigger question is why do think this is "crap" at all?

RR1Ts have been like that forever, and they work/look fine. And you're comparing a limited edition "let's make it as (reasonably) close to the original" copy of Randy's black guitar to a regular production USA Select model. That's apples and oranges. ...Did you happen to notice that the bridges and tailpieces are totally different hardware between those two guitars, as well? Doesn't mean the new one is "crap". Just that they went "old school" in copying Randy's guitar with the PCS to make it as true to the original as possible, including what hardware was used and where the V plate was placed.

Comment

Now my RR1T is a piece of shit and I didn't even know it.

Up until I knew it has a shitty v-plate placement it was the best playing guitar I'd ever held too...

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well, I certainly received an education today, but not what at all what I would have expected.
                '02 Jackson KV2
                '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

I couldn't have askied for a better guitar than my RR1T to be honest...the tail piece rocks just were it is. I'm sure if Randy were alive today he would agree. Guitar tech has come a long way sincr the 80's so Im sure Jackson has a good reason for the tail piece being where it is....Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Here's my baby....
                  http://www.rockhoundtampabay.com

Comment

When did they start doing this? When they finalized the specs on the Rhoads and took it into production

Comment

Granted, my knowledge is far more limited than most of you guys on this subject, but aesthetically speaking, I think it looks much better with the tailpiece "right up against the ass of the guitar."
                      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

^^ I agree, I find the pickguard on the PCS version too "elongated" as a result of the sharper angle and I also think the PCS tailpiece looks big and gaudy, as well as "lopsided" (which is to be expected since it´s just a Gibson tailplate wheras the production ones are asymmetrical and unique to the Rhoads).

In shorter terms: I find the production version of Tailpiece and guard flow much better with the guitar´s lines..

Comment

Guess I am partial to the PCS bridge and PCS in general.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It just looks wrong to me comparatively speaking (the non-PCS). It looks like the arch was miscut and they barely had enough room to slap on the tailpiece and there is too much string spacing between the tailpiece and bridge, not to mention it appears to be mounted off-center.

I can see the "gaudy argument" though that may be unduly influenced by the gold hardware, but the tailpiece mounted where it is enhances the rakish asymmetrical design of the body by aligning the eye with the traditional setup of a '58' stringthrough juxtaposed with the body.
                            Last edited by V-man; 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM.
                            '02 Jackson KV2
                            '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                              Guess I am partial to the PCS bridge and PCS in general.
                              I love the PCS bridge, just not the placement of the original V-plate of the PCS in general.
                              Here's the old RR1T I got from you, I thought it also looked better with the black control plate instead of gold. It did get returned to all black hardware and traded to Pete. I still prefer my gun metal gray RR1T (which was also at one time yours )...and I did have Dave make me a black PCS bridge like Kirk's that I still have to slot the saddles of.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X