Thinking about a custom show Pro/con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a custom show Pro/con

So now that I will be expecting a healthy tax return this year (thankfully) - and out of the blue I've got two separate music projects happening.. I was thinking this would be a good time to take a very serious look at having a custom shop guitar built.

Before I do that though, I have noticed in some cases people will say "Why don't you just buy this and change that yourself" so I'm going to post what I am thinking about building to see if there's anything already out there that would be a good alternative.

This is not an add to buy something you have. please don't pm me with "Hey I'll sell you mine" I won't respond to any PM's. I just want to know if something like this is out there or close enough so i don't have to do a custom shop.

What I am basically looking for is a single hum soloist with reversed headstock, mahogany body, with walnut runners(?) with the neck through. either oiled body or non glossy clear coat. 24 Frets, OFR.

things like the runners(If that's even the right term) can be dropped, but it needs to be 24 frets reverse headstock, with only one pup and neck thru. even the body wood is subject to change depending on what's out there.

If there are any dinky's like this that were ever production let me know though those would be bolt... just any info would help.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

if its still available the prototype gunslinger NECKTHRU, with stringers (runners), natural, 24fret, floyded, IIRC binding on fretboard. it did have some weird offset block inlays but it sounds pretty close to what u want, but its a BCRich. I think hellraiser knows the guy selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
      if its still available the prototype gunslinger NECKTHRU, with stringers (runners), natural, 24fret, floyded, IIRC binding on fretboard. it did have some weird offset block inlays but it sounds pretty close to what u want, but its a BCRich. I think hellraiser knows the guy selling it.
      I'm really looking to stay with Jackson. Gunslingers are nice though

Comment

Well there's never been a production USA single hum Soloist, so if you're considering used, you'd need to be looking for a custom. There was a guy on here (Slayer?) who had a natural gloss single hum soloist with iron cross inlays, but I think he sold that.

But I'd say that to get even reasonably close what you've spec'd, you'll need to order a custom. I'd imagine that it shouldn't be horrifically expensive either, though I don't know what they charge for 'runners'...
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          I don't know what they charge for 'runners'...
          I think the proper term is "stringer."

edit - from wikipedia:

Stringer, a thin piece of wood running from nose to tail that increases the strength of a surfboard
          I don't know about 1-hum, but doesn't Pablo make like a bunch of these every year for NAMM? I seem to recall a lot of mahagoby soloists with laminate necks.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Well there's never been a production USA single hum Soloist, so if you're considering used, you'd need to be looking for a custom. There was a guy on here (Slayer?) who had a natural gloss single hum soloist with iron cross inlays, but I think he sold that.
            That would be Jack. I'm not sure if he sold it. I think it was a short scale but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll wait until my refund is closer and then ask one of the JCF dealers can get me a quote. STRINGERS yes that's the word (lol) alright.

Comment

I have a CS PC1 coming. The only things that I did to it was have the headstock reversed and monogrammed on the back "In loving memory of my wife ....." and that was $1150 extra on top of what a production one goes for + $2550= $3700. Add that plus a deleted pickup and whatever else your looking at could get pricey quickly! I have yet to play a CS guitar but from what my bud says from L&M here in Winnipeg, "You'll never what to play your production model again!"
                Thanks again Mark L. I know you're watching! you voyeur you!!
                You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  What I am basically looking for is a single hum soloist with reversed headstock, mahogany body, with walnut runners(?) with the neck through.
                  Maple neck-through or mahogany? I don't think you'd really be able to see the stringers that well if they're walnut with mahogany, considering they're both dark woods. The walnut would be darker, but not sure you'd really want to go with that. Maybe maple or ebony stringers?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Maple neck-through or mahogany? I don't think you'd really be able to see the stringers that well if they're walnut with mahogany, considering they're both dark woods. The walnut would be darker, but not sure you'd really want to go with that. Maybe maple or ebony stringers?
                    Maple neck, I have one guitar that's walnut stringers with mahogany wings that looks nice, that's where i got the idea. it was a maple neck so it did stand out.

Comment

Ah, okay. Cool.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There is a CS on Egay near those specs, but I think its too pricey for a 1H, but man it looks nice.
                        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
                          I have a CS PC1 coming. The only things that I did to it was have the headstock reversed and monogrammed on the back "In loving memory of my wife ....." and that was $1150 extra on top of what a production one goes for + $2550= $3700.
                          Wait, it was $1150 extra just for a reversed headstock with the monogram on the back??? Yikes!
                          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Working...
                          X