NOSGD: 1988 Pink Jackson Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOSGD: 1988 Pink Jackson Strat

OK here it is. It arrived with no damage. The body is mint, with the exception of some smudges and a stain near the input jack. The bubble gum color is sweet. The headstock is mint with an old school decal logo. The back of the neck looks kind of old and slightly dirty, and has a few "burn marks", apparantly from hanging on a rack. The Floyd looks to be in great shape. It's an old one, with the screw-in bar. The posts are JT6 posts, and those notorious JT6 washers are both rattling around unattached (but at least there). Super glue will fix that. The nut is bottom drilled. I'm a little disappointed with the frets. I'd guess the humidity got to them, as they are glazed over and have a bit of rust. The strings are vintage 80's, caked with rust. When I bend a note, it kind of goes "crzzxzxzxshshshzxzxsh". Wasn't expecting that on a "like new" guitar, but it is what it is. It's odd because there is no wear on the frets at all. The same with the three way switch....it is very hard to switch, and I'm guessing humidity got to that as well. Other than that, the electronics are working correctly. The neckplate is San Dimas and has an odd bendage/warpage thing going on (see the pic). I've never seen that, and am a bit puzzled by it. I suppose I could hammer it flat, but then will it fit back on? Very odd. The neck is nice and straight. The only part missing was a lousy input jack screw.

Very nice congrats I have two guitars that came with the JT6 and one rattles the other is fine . I am just to lazy to do anything about
    Last edited by Model 88; 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
      Very nice congrats I have two guitars that came with the JT6 and one rattles the other is fine . I am just to lazy to do anything about
      I believe the factory used to just push those into the clear coat before it dried. Of the three strats I have, none were still in place!

Comment

I don't think I'd worry about the plate warp too much if the neck is stable. It's really only there to keep the bolts from sinking into the body anyways. Since they are cast if you try to hammer it flat there is a chance of shattering it. If you are set on fixing it, I would buy a parted out one off ebay and keep the original in case you decide to flip the guitar.

Good score on that one.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Here's what it's all about, boys. A soft brush, some WD-40, an old OFR, and some dirty fingernails. It was in pretty decent shape except some grime and some haggard looking fine tuners. They were a combination of grimy black and rust. It all came off instantly with a soft brush, leaving just brass. I'm not sure if that was an original black finish or not, but it just flew off. I know the new ones have black finished tuners, anyone know what the deal with these old ones is? Hmm.

As a side note, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass those screw in arms are!

Comment

Getting ready to polish some frets!

Comment

The board and frets cleaned up nicely. All it needed was 0000 steel wool and some lemon oil. That board was thirsty!

Last edited by Axewielder; 11-26-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Check out this neck heel. It became deformed, and the neck plate sort of sunk into it, thus the warpage. It's a good fit and it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Here's what it's all about, boys. A soft brush, some WD-40, an old OFR, and some dirty fingernails. It was in pretty decent shape except some grime and some haggard looking fine tuners. They were a combination of grimy black and rust. It all came off instantly with a soft brush, leaving just brass. I'm not sure if that was an original black finish or not, but it just flew off. I know the new ones have black finished tuners, anyone know what the deal with these old ones is? Hmm.

As a side note, I forgot how much of a pain in the ass those screw in arms are!
                    Cool! From what I can tell, all the old school floyds have the brass fine tuners with apparently poor paint. It's not like the baseplate and saddles which are anodized I think.

Don't totally dismiss the screw arms. I always hated em and replaced it w a newer collar ASAP until I came across one that was set up right. You need the right amount of tension with the base using the wrench. Then, when the bar is screwed in tight (using finger pressure), the entire base will turn when u want to, but will stay put in any one position. If u crank down the base all the way, u won't be able to move the bar a all once it's screwed tight, thus the bar can only be in position with it entired screwed in. This is how I have found most of the collars. I believe that's why they use plastic washers between the baseplate and trem, to allow it to twist within the hole, but still be screwed in fully and allow subtle pitch control.

Have you been able to directly compare those Floyd posts to actual JT6 posts from a model series charvel to see if they're exactly the same? The reason I ask is I have seen these coarse-thread JT6-looking posts before on a US Jackson from 1986, which predates the JT6 era. These might be real floyd posts.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Sweet score Axewielder, definitly green with envy here.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

They look like JT6 posts all right. As for the screw in bar, I've got it dialed in ok but do prefer the collared ones. These have a bit of a "clunk" to them. I'll have a collared one retrofitted at some point.

Comment

The plate and heel look perfectly normal to me... Meaning, most of the bolt-on Charvels I've seen are exactly like that (slightly curved, and sunk into the paint).

That is awesome that there was an NOS guitar sitting around like that- She's cleaning up nice!

Comment

Awesome! Love that guitar, bubble gum pink rules. Congrats.

Comment

very cool!!! the plate warpage is not at all uncommon.

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X