'87 Spidey Strat restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 Spidey Strat restoration

Here we go again. I picked this one up a while back, but it was in a bit rougher shape than I had hoped and it's been sitting in the closet. Now it's up on the bench so I can try to salvage this wreck. This is going to be a bigger project than that '87 pink strat, let me tell you!

it doesnt look so bad what up?

Comment

Oh it's not so bad...I guess. The frets are kind of glazed over and uneven, the wiring is totally shot, the input jack is intermittent, it has Home Depot screws in the locknut, lots of stripped or missing screws, the JT6 is rusted out, the toggle switch is a Fisher Price control which does nothing, and the damn thing and its case both have an ashtray smell like you wouldn't believe. The body was also touched up, which was not disclosed. But, there is a badass axe under there somewhere!

I'm going back to passive as I'm not "feeling it" with that EMG 81 and tone circuit. It's all apart now. Does anyone know how to get this all back together?!? I'm looking for volunteers!

Hehe...J/K

Comment

I would suggest trying a P-rail and an OFR in that bad boy since it's already drilled for a switch. If you want I can even come up with a wiring diagram for you. You could go with a 3 way switch to go single/hum/p90.

That guitar should clean up real nice and become a killer assuming the neck stuff gets taken care of.

I love your sig by the way. The guy in the cubicle next me me is a vegetarian from india so I bug him with it hehe.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I would suggest trying a P-rail and an OFR in that bad boy since it's already drilled for a switch. If you want I can even come up with a wiring diagram for you. You could go with a 3 way switch to go single/hum/p90.

That guitar should clean up real nice and become a killer assuming the neck stuff gets taken care of.

I love your sig by the way. The guy in the cubicle next me me is a vegetarian from india so I bug him with it hehe.
          Great minds think alike. I've got a p-rails sitting here in the box waiting to go in!

Comment

Damn that JT6 has a lot more parts than on OFR!

Comment

The trem cleaned up pretty good.

Comment

Comment

i can do paint work, look at my kelly project post , cant do electronics though. i used to do cosmetic repair for gc customers in marietta. boy i remember those bridges. love the id 'ing info on the neck, wish every neck had that on them.
                  Last edited by BRADSTANG; 11-27-2009, 10:58 PM.
                  DK2 EERIE DESS
                  KE3 CUSTOM
                  KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                  KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                  RR3 PRO
                  BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                  KRAMER VOYAGER
                  LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                  TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Damn Larry..you have some sweet guitars!!

Comment

OK I hit the neck and board with some 0000 steel wool. I didn't go ballistic, just enough to knock down the dingyness on the back of the neck a shade or two and take the finger cheese off. Then, I hit the back of the neck with some naptha.

Comment

The wiring is done, thank god. I couldn't even reuse the exising ground wires, as the previous owner hacked them off. The Duncan P-rails is in. In the cavity, I like to use shielding tape on the sides and a brass control cavity plate (courtesy of Budman) as a base. Everything is done with heat shring tubing and nice and tight. Those micro switches are a fuggin pain to wire up. With a P-Rails, most people do left to tap the rails, middle is humbucker, and right taps the P-90. I thought it would be more standard to have left to tap the rails (neck sound), middle to tap the P-90 (middle crunch sound), and right for humbucker (bridge lead sound). This is not possible to do with an on-off-on DPDT switch. I devised a way to do it with an on-on-on DPDT, although I use both poles so it will not work if you have two pickups. If anyone is interested, I can draw up a schematic (but it's not that hard). Everything ohmed out, and I'm getting the 9-10-18 ohms I was expecting. I've leaving off the tone knob and plan to plug that stupid hole.

Last edited by Axewielder; 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Nice work Axewielder. Going to be nice when it's done.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

That's enough for one night! I'm about 95% done. I got the nut put back together with replacement locking bolts, glued down the replacement JT6 stud washers, oiled the board, put it all together, and did a rough setup. I'm pretty thrilled with the results so far!

Comment

Please post some feedback on the P-rails when you spend some time with it. I'm very curious on that pickup. I need to get a other guitar to put it in though as I don't want to swap out what I have currently in my guitars.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X