Adrian Smith Owners..question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Smith Owners..question

Is the neck on the AS model chunky like the Strat neck or is it thin like a Jackson should be? I don't want to drop coin on one if it has a strat neck thickness.

if you have ever played a production charvel or any strat head charvel , thats exactly the shape and feel, its just a san dimas charvel neck with a jackson logo , i have a demartini charvel and there is no difference , it doesn't feel anything like a fender strat neck .

Comment

I don't think the neck feels the same as the current pro-mod Charvels. But it doesn't feel like a Fender either...
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
        I don't think the neck feels the same as the current pro-mod Charvels. But it doesn't feel like a Fender either...
        +1

The neck is really what can only be described as a thicker original charvel type profile. I took calipers to it and actually is very very close to a '82 charvel s-head that I have. Very comfy if you like that old (rarer) thicker charvel profile. If you are looking for a jackson speed neck, you will not like this neck. I play mine all the time and love it.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

If you've ever played anything with the speedneck profile (KV2 for instance), that's it. Definitely a thinner, wider feeling profile than a strat, but not Ibanez thin.

edit: RR05xx, maybe there's some AS's that made it out with a different profile, but mine feels pretty much the same as my KV2, if it was bare and had no binding. According to Jackson's specs, it's the same as the Speedneck profile.

Pat
          Last edited by mccullpl; 12-02-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

The specs on the site have the AS neck nearly identical to the Speed Neck on the King V. Mine is definately thinner than my ProMod neck. It feels very similar to the neck on my Ibanez RG 770 DX except it is C shaped instead of D shaped - i.e. rounded vs. flat in the back. My neck feels very close to the neck on my former USA Fusion.

I wonder if there's a difference between the maple neck version and the ebony version???
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Hmm. I have an 89 KV and it is nothing like that. I also have a newer ('02) soloist and it is nothing like that. Much chunkier than either of those (and just about every other standard spec jackson or charvel that I have, with only 2 exceptions, both of which are pre-86 SD charvels) so the AS neck does not have what I consider to be the classic USA jackson profile, which I have found to be on the thiner side. I am sure there are exceptions (there always are) and i am just going from my experience, so YMMV.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yeah, I was also gonna chip in that it doesn't feel like the KV's I've played at all. Not even a bit. The KV speed neck is a flattened D, but the AS is way more C shaped than that...
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Well... we are talking about feel, right? No way to really measure that, I guess.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

I haven't played an AS, but I will say this much... Just because a neck may have the same thin/thickness measurements doesn't mean it has the same backshape. "Feel" is as much about the shape of the back of the neck (i.e., wide/flat, narrow/round, etc) as it is about how thick the neck is. In addition, Jackson has occassionally gotten model specs wrong on their website/catalogs over the years.

Comment

I finally played my AS and KV2 back to back, and Grandturk is exactly right. While I don't think they're drastically different, the AS is definitely a C shape, and the KV2 had more of a D shape.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by mccullpl View Post
                        I finally played my AS and KV2 back to back, and Grandturk is exactly right. While I don't think they're drastically different, the AS is definitely a C shape, and the KV2 had more of a D shape.
                        Credit where credit is due.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        Yeah, I was also gonna chip in that it doesn't feel like the KV's I've played at all. Not even a bit. The KV speed neck is a flattened D, but the AS is way more C shaped than that...
                        I actually said that it felt as thin as my Ibanez except that the Ibanez felt like a D and the Smith felt like a C. Not having played a KV in some time, I simply pointed out the specs were similar on the Jackson site.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                        X