X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 question

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=511466

why is this guitar so much?

when i buy a new guitar I dont really wanna getta cheap one or half decent i want a good one.

but i figure if i spend as much as the one above costs, might as well buy a gibson.

so is the sl1 worth the price?
    yermsayin?

Originally posted by wr3k3d View Post

but i figure if i spend as much as the one above costs, might as well buy a gibson.
    You need to go to a shop that carries USA Select Jacksons and comparably priced Gibsons (meaning their run of the mill, non-reissue stuff), play both side by side, and compare the features, fit & finish. If the answer isn't clear to you, then I don't think anyone here can help you.

Comment

first that's not an import (where you posted) and second, Why are you on the Jackson forum if you would rather have a Gibson?

Comment

I'll have a swing at this one.

It's a USA made neck through guitar with a original Floyd Rose and great electronics. It is a great feeling, great sounding guitar and I am far more proud to own one of these than I am any Gibson that might come down the line.

And yes my opinion is biased but I can live with that. Hope that helps.

Comment

Play an SL3 and SL1 if you can along with any Gibsons or similarly priced guitars if you cant tell the difference between the higher quality ones then it probably isnt worth you buying them yet....

Try as many guitars as you can, and you'd probably find you'd try more gibsons before finding the best one than jacksons...

Comment

The guitar costs that much because it has a graphic finish on it. That already puts at least $300 on top of the base price.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

After you've done all that you will be asking yourself "Why is this guitar so low?"
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well I bought a Burnt Cherry SL-1 from that same music company early this year, and like everybody said above, it's kick ass...period. A friend has a Les Paul Silverburst that has gotten so popular, and yes, it is VERY nice/thick sounding...but I'd take my SL-1 over it ALL DAY LONG!!!
                Let go, let Guitar

Comment

I like Les Pauls but frankly I think they are overpriced generally speaking. My USA Jacksons are built with better quality than my Les Pauls and feel better to play. Thats why I have much more Jacksons than Les Pauls in my collection. Nothing compares to a USA Jackson!
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

SL1 worth the price? Yes.

The Gibson you'd buy for the same money pales by comparison, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      You need to go to a shop that carries USA Select Jacksons and comparably priced Gibsons (meaning their run of the mill, non-reissue stuff), play both side by side, and compare the features, fit & finish. If the answer isn't clear to you, then I don't think anyone here can help you.
                      what do you mean? they're about equal..

my gibson LP was actually less then my KV2 and it's just as good of a guitar.. (if not better.. *dodges tomatoes and rocks*). and if i'm not mistaken, the average USA Select jackson Is about 2200-2300 Dollars, a gibson LP standard is 2300-2400, but has like a 5" body.. carved top, most of them have A+ figured tops, binding OVER THE FRETS, chrome pickup covers(and imo, nicer stock pickups), and body binding, and IMO a very high quality nitro finish(but no MOP inlays like the jacksons.. i wish).. is that the answer you're talking about?

and that's not even mentioning an SG Standard.. which are only about 1400 bucks
                      Last edited by Grahf; 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah! FOOD FIGHT! (starts lobbing tomatoes!)
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

hahaha. just sayin'. just for the record i own 4 guitars.. 3 jacksons and 1 gibson

Comment

nobody has said anyting about neck scales.
                            2009 black sl1 usa
                            fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
                            Burgundy mist model 3
                            black model 1 emg
                            black model 3 h/s/s
                            2005 pointy charvel
                            2009 black rr1

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                              what do you mean? they're about equal..

my gibson LP was actually less then my KV2 and it's just as good of a guitar.. (if not better.. *dodges tomatoes and rocks*). and if i'm not mistaken, the average USA Select jackson Is about 2200-2300 Dollars, a gibson LP standard is 2300-2400, but has like a 5" body.. carved top, most of them have A+ figured tops, binding OVER THE FRETS, chrome pickup covers(and imo, nicer stock pickups), and body binding, and IMO a very high quality nitro finish(but no MOP inlays like the jacksons.. i wish).. is that the answer you're talking about?

and that's not even mentioning an SG Standard.. which are only about 1400 bucks
                              $2200-2300 for a new SL1 sounds high to me. But for the sake of argument lets say they are comparable to a Les Paul price wise. What you listed above were features which in and of themselves don't necessarily mean higher quality. The paint on Gibsons is not up to par with Jackson. When I bought my Les Paul Custom (new btw) I found some that had paint that was so thin it missed some areas of the guitar. Jackson's fret work and setups from the factory are also better. As far as the pickups, I'll take the Duncans in the Jackson over stock Gibsons any day, but thats preference. I also prefer the neckthough construction and even though that is also preference I would think it is more costly than a set neck or bolt on. Gibson tops are hit or miss just like anybody else however try getting a graphic of any sort and you'll have to go to their custom shop. With an SL1 I can get an SL1 with graphic off the shelf.
                              I don't hate Gibson Les Pauls, on the contrary I like them quite well and may get more of them in the future. You can't convince me however that they are of the same quality or better than a USA Jackson at the same price point
                              Last edited by roodyrocker; 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X