No announcement yet.

SL1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the features are supposed to mean more value.. not quality.. that's why they cost more..
    Last edited by Grahf; 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wr3k3d View Post
      http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=511466

why is this guitar so much?

when i buy a new guitar I dont really wanna getta cheap one or half decent i want a good one.

but i figure if i spend as much as the one above costs, might as well buy a gibson.

so is the sl1 worth the price?
      I have another way of looking at it that I think some of the guys here haven't touched on. In my collection, I have both a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, and a Jackson Soloist (I have a SL2H instead of an SL1 because I like duel humbuckers more than the H/S/S config...either way same guitar). The Les Paul Custom is a $4,000 guitar! Here's a few things I would like to note:

1. It comes with Gibson pickups that weren't my favorite (so I ripped them out and put in BareKnuckle Nailbombs). Jackson USA models come with Duncans or EMG's.

2. The paint is not on par with USA Jackson's without a doubt.

3. Set neck construction vs. Jackson's neck-thru construction.

4. My Jackson Soloist's sustain tops my Gibson Les Paul Custom (even though my LP Custom has great sustain).

5. Fixed bridge vs. Original Floyd Rose (one is not better than the other, just preference and different tools in the tool box...both come in handy in separate situations).

6. Gibson has a big beefy neck which is great for tone, but the guitar is without a doubt harder to play than my Jackson neck (Soloist necks are my favorite necks in the world....so amazing to play on).

Now I LOVE my Les Paul Custom....I think it's incredible. In fact, I would use it over my Jackson Soloist for rythm parts any day of the week. The sound is so full, so powerful. However....My Jackson tops my Gibson LP for soloing (notice the name, "soloist?") and my Jackson is an overall very good sounding guitar. The quality "feel" I'd say is better on my Jackson than my Gibson Les Paul Custom, although both have that VERY HIGH quality feel. When you play a Soloist, you can't help but notice the solid quality feel in your hands (for example, pick up an Ibanez, then pick up a Jackson....the Ibanez feels like a toy).

So my point is....if you compare the Les Paul Custom (Gibson's top of the line basically) at $4,000 to the Jackson USA Soloist (Jackson's top of the line basically) at $2,300 there are really only two conclusions to come to...either Gibson is charging WAY too much for their guitars, or Jackson is charging WAY too little

Good luck in whatever you decide, and PLAY ONE FIRST before you buy!

Comment

One more thing...and the most important....sound. I'm a youtube addict, and I came across this guy a while ago who can really help answer your question about the Soloist vs. Gibson. Take a look at this guy's youtube page and watch his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ebealien.../5/KVA5cmN4gqw

He's a bit of an alien fanatic but he's the perfect answer to your question. He basically plays Les Pauls and Jackson SL1 Soloists....that's about it. You can literally compare the sound of his Les Pauls to his Jackson SL1 right there on his page. I think he has the right idea too, I think if you have the ability $$$, then every guitarist should have both a Les Paul style guitar, as well as a Jackson Soloist type. They're very different guitars, but as you can hear from the video, both are sooooo nice. I would never want to have one and not the other because I love both sounds.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for all the input, and I have never played a USA Jackson seeing as everywhere i go there are never any available. SO if i played one i probably wouldn't have needed to post this thread.. I love my Jackson and its just an import dk2 w/hotrail in neck X2N in bridge.. FK i need too come across an american jackson :/
          yermsayin?

Comment

Working...
          X