PC1 neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 neck pickup

Does anyone know which pickup the sustainer unit of a PC1 is based on? I was thinking maybe Fast Track 1 or Cruiser but then I haven't tried any of these yet, so its only a guess based on the specs on their website.

My local FMIC tech was told that it should not be considered a pickup - it's the 'Sustainer Driver' primarily, which happens to also function as (a pretty crappy) pickup...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      My local FMIC tech was told that it should not be considered a pickup - it's the 'Sustainer Driver' primarily, which happens to also function as (a pretty crappy) pickup...
      Thats the thing: it sounds extremely good actually, especially with high gain. It makes a 24-fret guitar sound more like strat than an actual strat. If thats considered crappy at FMIC, then they should make more crappy things instead of giving their best and ending up with horseshit like the samarium cobalt stuff (which actually sounds like a driver unit).
      Also the pickup doesnt look at all like the driver unit of the Fernandez sustainer I have (which has one rail instead of magnets and 2 metal plates attached to it). It looks like an actual DiMarzio pickup with a metal plate attached.

Comment

Dimarzio doesn't have their pickups look like that either, looks more like a Seymour duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
          Thats the thing: it sounds extremely good actually, especially with high gain.
          The one I had was basically unusable as a neck pickup - the volume drop from the other pickups was massive, and when you could hear it the tone was totally dead. And aparently that view is pretty common because as soon as I mentioned it to the tech, he told me that he'd spoken to the FMIC service department at someone else's request and he was told they get that question all the time.
          But then I like the cobalt samarium pickups in the AS, so it's all subjective...

Comment

The one I had was basically unusable as a neck pickup - the volume drop from the other pickups was massive, and when you could hear it the tone was totally dead. And aparently that view is pretty common because as soon as I mentioned it to the tech, he told me that he'd spoken to the FMIC service department at someone else's request and he was told they get that question all the time.
            Well, I just picked up the PC1 and unfortunately I have to admit the neck pup sounds weak, especially on the lower strings. I swear it sounded good when I picked it up the other day after a long time, bell-like tone and good smack in lower register and everything. I was actually surprised how good it sounded. I hate that paranormal crap where gear sounds different every day for no apparent reason.

But then I like the cobalt samarium pickups in the AS, so it's all subjective...
            I was referring to the samarium pups in my American Deluxe strat.

Comment

Yeah, the gear gremlins are a major pain in the ass You might want to check the batteries in the PC1 though, just in case they're getting tired and causing an issue. Plus, there are two trim pots on the circuit board which control gain and output (I think) so you can always tweak them. But they're supposed to be optimised from the factory...

I'm not sure what version of the samarium pickups are in the AS, but I was really surprised how good they sounded. I just don't like the bridge humbucker in it

Comment

I've got one and i hate the tinny crappy sound of the neck pickup, I WISH that it sounded remotely like a chopper, that is the only reason that I wouldnt buy a second one, otherwise FANTASTIC guitar.
                jackson pc-1 chameleon
                charvel model 4
                prs ce-24 emerald green
                ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                jackson rr ps 3t
                ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                engl thunder 50
                ibanez rg 565
                mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

go buy the oldest, cheapest, sears roebuck strat copy you can find and pull the neck pickup, that will probably get you close.
                  jackson pc-1 chameleon
                  charvel model 4
                  prs ce-24 emerald green
                  ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                  jackson rr ps 3t
                  ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                  engl thunder 50
                  ibanez rg 565
                  mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

Working...
                  X