Jackson SL2HT Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SL2HT Question

I am getting a new guitar soon. For this guitar I want a high quality axe that will last me atleast 10 years or so. I mainly play progressive death metal. I currently own a 06 Japanese Jackson SLSMG which I like very much. I have a few problems with it however...
    1. The neck is angled, for me this is quite uncomfortable. I play sitting in the classical position and the 10-20 degrees it is angled back puts it in a more uncomfortable position than other superstrat shapes with unangled necks.
    2. The angling of the necks also results in the TOM bridge always being a higher off the body than it would on a design with an unangled neck.
    3. The Body is a little less substantial than I would prefer. When sighting it down the neck from the bottom strap button you can tell that the lower wing
    is thicker, for some reason this kind of bothers me.

Besides that I love everything about it. But still I've always wanted a made in USA axe (and Jackson is my favorite brand of guitars). I hate trems and only like two shapes; superstrat and explorer (and their star variants a la the Ibanez x series destroyer I also own). I would prefer to get a seven string but tuning down on a six string works just as well for me (I know Jackson is releasing some new seven strings but it doesn't sound like any are USA or hardtails). With these criteria it seems like the best choice for me is the SL2HT. I have just a few questions about it.

1. For those who have owned or played it what are your overall impressions? Is it the exact same as the other soloists but just a hardtail? Is it signifigantly higher quality than the japanese jacksons? How is the fit and finish? Is the neck the same carve as my slsmg?
    2. Is the neck angled?
    3. Does the TOM sit closer to the body than on the SLSMG/SLS3 models?
    4. What is the nut made out of? It will probably have to be modified a little for some of the wider string guages I use but I presume that it is good enough quality that it won't have to be outright replaced?
    5. Are the pickup rings made out of metal? I hate plastic pickup rings (much prefer direct mount but not many companies besides Ibanez do this), they just seem gaudy on more expensive guitars. I have seen some USA jacksons with what appears to be metal pickup rings but then there are others that look like the plastic ones.

And finally, when will I be able to know for sure what new jackson models are being released? I know they're releasing at least 1 seven string. Are they releasing any new hardtail strat/kelly 6/7 designs in the USA series?

Thanks in advance!

I can only speak in regards to my RR1T which shares some features.

The TOM is fairly high off the body and the neck does have some back angle. I think they use the plastic pickup surrounds on TOM USA Select models and metal on the recessed floyds. The nut is called bone but I believe it is a plastic of some sort. Mine was cut perfectly however and I have no issues with it.

If the neck angle is a big point for you, you might want to consider getting a floyded model and blocking the trem. The recessed floyd models have a very low neck angle.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I own a SL2HT and it has the same neck angle as SLSMG or Non Recessed OFR . I have played a few SLSMGs and the soloist has a fuller neck carve . If you want the bridge close to the body your choices are limited . The only two hard tails I can think are the discontinued USA SLS and the KV2T (still available) . The problem with them is they are 24.75 scale. You can pickup a SL2H and block the trem or look into a Carvin . The just released a soloist style body the ST300 and are very nice guitars. They have the bridge slightly recessed into the body .
      Mike
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        I can only speak in regards to my RR1T which shares some features.

The TOM is fairly high off the body and the neck does have some back angle. I think they use the plastic pickup surrounds on TOM USA Select models and metal on the recessed floyds. The nut is called bone but I believe it is a plastic of some sort. Mine was cut perfectly however and I have no issues with it.

If the neck angle is a big point for you, you might want to consider getting a floyded model and blocking the trem. The recessed floyd models have a very low neck angle.
        I don't mind a high TOM but combined with the neck angle it just makes it not as comfortable to play as other guitars. Could you take a look at the picture (the second one) on the official Jackson site and tell me how the neck angle and TOM height compare to your guitar?

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
          I own a SL2HT and it has the same neck angle as SLSMG or Non Recessed OFR . I have played a few SLSMGs and the soloist has a fuller neck carve . If you want the bridge close to the body your choices are limited . The only two hard tails I can think are the discontinued USA SLS and the KV2T (still available) . The problem with them is they are 24.75 scale. You can pickup a SL2H and block the trem or look into a Carvin . The just released a soloist style body the ST300 and are very nice guitars. They have the bridge slightly recessed into the body .

How do you feel the SL2HT compares to the SLSMG in terms of overall quality? I think part of the problem with the neck angle might be that the body design makes it so I hold my arm differently than a thicker superstrat shape with an arm recess.

Athough I don't like pointy horns kxk's recessed TOMs look really good.

Comment

The neck angle and TOM height on that look slightly more than my Rhoads in that picture.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The body contour is a big plus on the SL2HT . I have a bunch of Jackson Archtops and the SL2HT is the most comfortable hard tail to play. I just do not notice the angle as much . I would hunt one down and give it a test .

The SLSMG is a nice guitar but the SL2HT just feels much more solid . The pots and switches feel better IMO. There is not a big difference as they are simple guitars but the SL2HT wins and not just because it is a USA . I own eight Japanese Jacksons .
              Mike

Comment

If you want the bridge close to the body your choices are limited . The only two hard tails I can think are the discontinued USA SLS and the KV2T (still available).
                Umm, the KV2T does not have a hardtail bridge. It's got a TOM and, therefore, it's higher off the body and has the same neck tilt like other Jacksons with the TOM bridge.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The body contour is a big plus on the SL2HT . I have a bunch of Jackson Archtops and the SL2HT is the most comfortable hard tail to play. I just do not notice the angle as much . I would hunt one down and give it a test .

The SLSMG is a nice guitar but the SL2HT just feels much more solid . The pots and switches feel better IMO. There is not a big difference as they are simple guitars but the SL2HT wins and not just because it is a USA . I own eight Japanese Jacksons .
                  The SL2HT is and archtop?

A few more questions about the SL2HT.

1.Hows the nut?
                  2. Hows the neck compared to other jacksons?
                  3. Is the headstock matching on all finishes?

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Umm, the KV2T does not have a hardtail bridge. It's got a TOM and, therefore, it's higher off the body and has the same neck tilt like other Jacksons with the TOM bridge.
                    I've always referred to TOMs as hardtails. I guess this is incorrect but to me a hardtail is anything non trem.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I did not say it was like a Strat hard tail , just not as tall. In the pictures I have seen it looks much closer to the body than any other TOM Jackson. Which would help in making less noticeable. All of TOM Jacksons I have the bridge is setup much higher off the body than in these pictures . And from what I remember about the SLSMG it was the same way , higher . They look to be as close as you can get it without being reccessed .

Mike

Comment

No the SL2HT is not a archtop . All the Jackson I have with a TOM are archtops . The neck feels the same as my other USA Jacksons . The nut is bone so it is good quality . The headstock's only matches on trans finishes , otherwise it is standard black.
                        Mike

Comment

No the SL2HT is not a archtop . All the Jackson I have with a TOM are archtops . The neck feels the same as my other USA Jacksons . The nut is bone so it is good quality . The headstock's only matches on trans finishes , otherwise it is standard black.
                          I think I'd like a trans red one. Anybody have pictures of the trans red finish? I've seen trans black and its great. Is the flame maple good quality compared to other guitars in the price range. Its an actual top and not a veneer like on cheaper stuff, right? How thick is it?

Does anybody know of a good online dealer I can order it through?

Comment

The tops on the USA selects are veneers and not "tops". They do tend to be very well bookmatched and high quality veneers though. The headstocks are matching on the trans finish models.

Here is my RR1T in trans blue.

The pickups have been replaced with chrome covered ones since this was taken, but I can't remember the filename on that pic and I'm at work right now.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I know at least Carvin and Warmoth offer recessed TOMs, removing the need for the added neck angle. Might be something to consider. I plan to attempt recessing the TOM one on my daydream guitar if I ever get around to CNCing it.
                              |My CSG gallery|
                              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                              X