Knob placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knob placement?

Iv'e been looking at a SL1 Soloist and a DK1 Dinky. I was wondering if any of you have a problem with hitting the volume knob on an SL1 as it seems very close to the volume knob. By the pics on the Jackson web-site and e-bay, that the DK1 volume knob seems to be a little further away which I like. So does anybody have or tried both of these guitars that can make a good comparison?? Thanks a bunch...............
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

I have a DK1 and SL2HT at the moment and owned a SL1 and SL2H. I much prefer the control lay out on the DK1 . The SL2HT is alright as I anchor my hand differently because of the bridge height . But the SL1 and SL2H both drove me crazy . I was constantly turning the volume down , have the same issue with the USA and PRO Fusions . Without measuring I would say the DK1 moves the controls about .500 to .625 farther away . Which made all the difference I needed .
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
      I was wondering if any of you have a problem with hitting the volume knob on an SL1 as it seems very close to the volume knob.
      Not only is the volume knob close to the volume knob, it's RIGHT ON TOP OF IT!

Naw, I know what you mean. No, I don't have a problem with it on any of the Soloists I've had.

I had problems with one guitar a long time ago, I think it was my Model 475, and I loved the guitar so I broke myself of the habit. I can even play a Strat now.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Not only is the volume knob close to the volume knob, it's RIGHT ON TOP OF IT!

Naw, I know what you mean. No, I don't have a problem with it on any of the Soloists I've had.

I had problems with one guitar a long time ago, I think it was my Model 475, and I loved the guitar so I broke myself of the habit. I can even play a Strat now.

Sorry about that, to many beers! I meant the volume knob to close to the E string. Iv'e played a couple of SL1s always kept hitting the knob when I played it. Thats why I like the RRs and the PC1s because there farther away from the E string. The DK1s (as in pics) seems like it's just not as close. I dont want to drop the cash and not like it......
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
          I have a DK1 and SL2HT at the moment and owned a SL1 and SL2H. I much prefer the control lay out on the DK1 . The SL2HT is alright as I anchor my hand differently because of the bridge height . But the SL1 and SL2H both drove me crazy . I was constantly turning the volume down , have the same issue with the USA and PRO Fusions . Without measuring I would say the DK1 moves the controls about .500 to .625 farther away . Which made all the difference I needed .

Thanks Mike! I dont want to HAVE to adjust my playing style to compensate for a volume knob not being where I like it. Here's a look at where all my volume knobs are at now, Out of the way...........

Comment

Several of those appear to be closer than an SL1/SL2H, as far as the way I was concerned with it (closer to the pickup) where my pinky would rub on the "front" side (toward the neck) of the knob and turn it down. So maybe you're talking about some other direction. :think:

Anyway, no matter, here's a good shot of a DK1:

It's definitely a lot further away than the SL1 is, but I'm not sure that will work for you.

Comment

I've switched(placement of) volume and tone pots for that exact reason on some guitars, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason you see so many on evilbay missing the knob altogether.

It sucks to accidentally roll your tone down, but is fatal to metal to accidentally roll your volume down. I guess you could move the whole pot, but that would be a lot of work...
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
              X