Question on Mike Shannon signed guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Mike Shannon signed guitars

Can I be sure that a guitar is master-built by Mike Shannon himself if it has Mike's signature on the back of the headstock?
    Or does the signature sometimes simply mean that the guitar has vintage correct specs (binding over fret, non-recess Floyd, etc.)?

You can (could?) request Shannon's signature, but no it doesn't mean that Shannon built a guitar from top to toe. But a my understanding is that a CS guitar is built entirely by the master-builders...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      You can (could?) request Shannon's signature, but no it doesn't mean that Shannon built a guitar from top to toe. But a my understanding is that a CS guitar is built entirely by the master-builders...

not true, they are built by whoever picks up the spec sheet out of the stack, could be shannon, could be random CS builder... not necessarily a 'master builder'

However, you can request your CS guitar to be built by Shannon, or Santana or whoever you want when you make the order... it doesn't mean it will happen though... if you place the order through a "big-time jackson dealer" who does a lot of business with them, you might have a better time getting your request to happen.
      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by slayest View Post
        Can I be sure that a guitar is master-built by Mike Shannon himself if it has Mike's signature on the back of the headstock?
        Or does the signature sometimes simply mean that the guitar has vintage correct specs (binding over fret, non-recess Floyd, etc.)?
        As far as I know... if Shannon signed the guitar, then he built it, unless of course he signed it at some sort of show or something, long after it was built... ie. I bring my soloist to a 'meet and greet' jackson thing and have Shannon sign it, or something like that.

but a "Shannon Soloist" (the limited run) the ones with top-mount floyds, old-style heel, etc... if its got his name on it, then he built it.

Comment

Thank all the inputs!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
            not true, they are built by whoever picks up the spec sheet out of the stack, could be shannon, could be random CS builder... not necessarily a 'master builder'

However, you can request your CS guitar to be built by Shannon, or Santana or whoever you want when you make the order... it doesn't mean it will happen though... if you place the order through a "big-time jackson dealer" who does a lot of business with them, you might have a better time getting your request to happen.

Er, can I "not true" your "not true"?

When I visited the Custom Shop last summer, I was informed (by Pablo himself) that all Jackson CS are done by either Mike Shannon or Pablo.

The "Jackson Custom Shop" technically consists of Mike's & Pablo's work areas / benches.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Er, can I "not true" your "not true"?

When I visited the Custom Shop last summer, I was informed (by Pablo himself) that all Jackson CS are done by either Mike Shannon or Pablo.

The "Jackson Custom Shop" technically consists of Mike's & Pablo's work areas / benches.

Really? yeah I've been in the process of ordering a CS and the dealer said "whoever picks up the order tag the day they get to it is who builds it" but was informed that if I want Shannon to do it, he'll put the request in, and they would likely oblige, though it couldn't be guaranteed.

But if you visited, and that's what he said, I believe you... thats pretty cool, and kinda explains why it takes a year to get a CS done.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                As far as I know... if Shannon signed the guitar, then he built it, unless of course he signed it at some sort of show or something, long after it was built... ie. I bring my soloist to a 'meet and greet' jackson thing and have Shannon sign it, or something like that.

but a "Shannon Soloist" (the limited run) the ones with top-mount floyds, old-style heel, etc... if its got his name on it, then he built it.
                The Mike Shannon signature form the custom shop is under the clearcoat. If it was indeed signed at a later date it would be over top the clearcoat
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                X