A call to those with soloists:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call to those with soloists:

Hey everyone, don't post here much but i figure this would be the place to get to the bottom of an issue i have:

My two soloists have completely different neck profiles. Both are '08s I believe, both lefty, but one of them just plays head and shoulders above the other one. I was wondering if the fast resources of the JCF forums might be able to provide me with some neck specs other than what Jackson lists. Namely, the fretboard width at the 24th fret. Maybe even the circumference of the neck at around 22 or so as well

The one that plays better was custom ordered (not custom shop), whereas I impulse bought the other. Both were new and i opened the box from Jackson with my own hands. The fretboard of the one that plays better is about 1/8th of an inch narrower at the 24th. Doesn't sound like much, but it's really noticeable to play.

Since i'm a lefty, i don't exactly get to try these out in store before i order them. If and when i do get a third, i'd like to know which neck profile i'm getting!

Thanks

Nothing eh? Well thanks anyways i suppose. I'll figure it out

Comment

Its all the 'same' neck profile (there are actually 5 profiles available in Jackson)... but as these bad boys are hand made, there is always a little wiggle room in the 'official' neck dimensions... the but width is 2-1/4"...

Unless you are ordering a CS guitar, you kinda get what you get... on a neck-thru, it either has a 'speed' profile (KV2, KE2, WR1) or 'standard' profile (SL1, SL2H, RR1)... then there's the 'Dominion' profile. (the other two are the PC1 and Dinky profile).

Officially all USA production soloists have the 'same' profile, but there is a margin of error (ie. the guy building it was a little heavy with the sander that day, etc.). However, if you order a CS, you can have the neck of the soloist you like measured out and have them copy it exactly!!

But, because of the 'wiggle room' you wont find what you are looking for as far as specs of your neck, as the only dimensions printed anywhere are the 'official' ones... So, the only way for you to get what you are after is to measure/spec out your own neck.

to do this you'll need: a tailor's measuring tape (the flexible plastic thing they use to fit you with a suit/tux), and an accurate caliper
      Last edited by Gibsonmac; 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM.
      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Thanks man, i really appreciate the reply.

I asked because out of my USAs, the two soloists are on either extreme in terms of fretboard width, with the KV2 and the RR1 right in the middle.

I understand that they're all handbuilt so it may be a bit of a mystery, but 1/8th of an inch? That seems excessive. The wider soloist honestly feels more like a speed neck with jumbo frets.

I guess this just makes ol' whitey (the one with the narrowest neck) more special. And i guess it means i'm going custom. Goodbye wallet!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X