Clear All

that is gorgeous! Just jaw-droppingly pristine
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      that is gorgeous! Just jaw-droppingly pristine
      +1 And that non-recessed floyd is

Comment

Thanks, guys. She's in great shape for her age, but not pristine. There's a (touched-up) chip under the top strap button, "ghosting" of clear around the fret ends that's so typical of the era, a little dullness in the clear on the back, etc. I suppose I could have the clear buffed, but I prefer the original way she is.

BTW, did I mention its a factory refin? A couple of months after I first got her in '86, the paint started chipping. (QC had its occassional share of issues in the SD era, too, you know. ) So I had it sent back under warranty and the custom shop refin'd it, and sent it back a couple of months later.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Thanks, guys. She's in great shape for her age, but not pristine. There's a (touched-up) chip under the top strap button, "ghosting" of clear around the fret ends that's so typical of the era, a little dullness in the clear on the back, etc. I suppose I could have the clear buffed, but I prefer the original way she is.

BTW, did I mention its a factory refin? A couple of months after I first got her in '86, the paint started chipping. (QC had its occassional share of issues in the SD era, too, you know. ) So I had it sent back under warranty and the custom shop refin'd it, and sent it back a couple of months later.
          That must have been torture - you wait months for a guitar, then have to send it back and wait months for a refinish!?

I remember sending my '85 Charvel back to Jackson when the original wood screw Floyd posts began to tip towards the neck pickup. They installed "Jackson" post inserts that became standard eventually. Took a few weeks, from what I remember.
          '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
          '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
          '98 PRS Custom 22
          '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

It was, bro. I waited the better part of a year for the guitar to be built after ordering it. Then only had it for what seemed a little while, before having to send it back. And then had to wait several more months for the refin to be done.

IIRC, I sent a complaint letter to Jackson, and got a response from Grover himself. Wish I had kept that - doh!

It all worked out great in the end, though!

Comment

I have never even heard of one. That's pretty sick!
              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                It was, bro. I waited the better part of a year for the guitar to be built after ordering it. Then only had it for what seemed a little while, before having to send it back. And then had to wait several more months for the refin to be done.

IIRC, I sent a complaint letter to Jackson, and got a response from Grover himself. Wish I had kept that - doh!

It all worked out great in the end, though!
                Gotta love how popular Jackson/Charvels were in '85! They took that long just to fix a guitar. Bet you didn't figure on owning it for 25 years!?
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Beautiful guitar. I miss those cam locks. I had them on my old Charvels too and they ruled.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I have two of those "flip" floyd nuts. I never got around to installing them on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                      I have two of those "flip" floyd nuts. I never got around to installing them on anything.
                      Wanna sell me one!?
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

yeah, I could sell one. how can you tell if it's a kahler or one of his?

Last edited by fatstrat; 02-14-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Nope, those are different.

Comment

what are these ones, kahler?

Comment

They look like Kahlers to me. But, honestly, I've never owned one myself. Definitely not Edwards.

Comment

I used to have this exact model on an old charvel, and it worked perfect. but you had to make sure you adjusted the screw according to your string gauge. I had to adjust the screw "snug" to the string, bu not too tight. then the clamp would do the rest. once adjusted they work extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                                X