intonation on PC-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intonation on PC-1

I just went from 10-52's on my Jackson PC-1 to 10-46's so it needed to be intonated.

Wierd thing is the pattern of the saddles looks like a smile rather then steps.

I checked it on two seperate tuners. One is a Boss TU12, the other is the tuner in the iPhone app "guitar toolkit".

Guitar checks out perfect on both tuners. I also checked my other floyd rose guitars and they are also good but have that normal stepped look to the saddles.

Is this normal?
    ---RCM78
    >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Did you check the intonation before you changed strings and also what did the saddles look like prior? The pattern does seem strange. The only thing I can think is are you checking the intonation with the locking nut clamped? I check intonation with the nut clamped. You might also want to check the intonation with a higher end strobe tuner (Peterson). I have found these to be much more precise than the standard "stomp box" tuners. Otherwise you got me????

Comment

I've seen only one other guitar with the "smile" pattern.
      DiMarzio Endorsee
      www.dimarzio.com
      Morley Endorsee
      www.morley.com
      "Intelli-Shred" author
      www.myspace.com/intellishred
      NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I set the intonation with the nut unlocked. Thats how I usually do it.

The readings didnt change after the nut was locked...

I forgot to add I made a few other changes at the same time.

During my first string change I found a cracked string retension block. So I ordered a set of titanium blocks, 42oz brass block, and a tremel-no.

I completely disasembled the bridge (the saddles went back in the proper locations), replaced the block, string blocks, installed the tremel-no and an EVH D-tuna. The bridge is set perfectly level (just like it was set from the factory).

I'm thinkin I might drop it off at my local tech's to have the intonation rechecked...
        Last edited by RCM78; 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM.
        ---RCM78

Comment

The "smiley" pattern to me, indicates something with the nut. If the strings are coming off the nut perpendicular to the nut edge of the fretboard, then I would think the strings are not "stopping" right at the front of the shelf. Just my opinion. BUT....

If the thing is in tune and intonates who gives a rat's ass!!!!

Comment

stomp boxes are NOT accurate enough to intonate properly... get a peterson, there is no way in hell an iphone app is accurate enough either, you need a decent strobe
            Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

It's fine. I've seen guitars with the saddles all in a straight line that were perfectly intonated.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here is what works for me, Get a Peterson Strobe tuner as they are very accurate.
                Then measure from the middle of the 12 fret wire on the high E string to where the string just breaks over the saddle, set the saddle at 12-3/4 inch. Then you may have to fine tune it a hair, but it should be very close if you check it with a peterson strobe. After that adjust the B string saddle even with the High E string saddle, then move it back the width of the B string, back towards the bridge, then move the G string saddle even with the B string saddle, then move the G string saddle back the width of the G string.
                Then on the D string saddle you want to set it even with the B string saddle, afterwards move the D string saddle back the width of the D String.
                Then move the A String saddle even with the D string saddle & then move the A string saddle back the width of the A string.
                Then of course the Low E string saddle needs to be set the same as the A string saddle & then moved back the width of the Low E string.

You may have to fine tune each saddle a hair after this but intonation is math so it shouldn't have to been fine tuned a lot. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Originally posted by RCM78 View Post
                I just went from 10-52's on my Jackson PC-1 to 10-46's so it needed to be intonated.

Wierd thing is the pattern of the saddles looks like a smile rather then steps.

I checked it on two seperate tuners. One is a Boss TU12, the other is the tuner in the iPhone app "guitar toolkit".

Guitar checks out perfect on both tuners. I also checked my other floyd rose guitars and they are also good but have that normal stepped look to the saddles.

Is this normal?

Comment

I had the day off today and the setup on this guitar just wasnt what I like so I took the time to dial it all in...

First, Adjusted the truss rod, The neck had a bow to it outa the box. I guess you need a bit of a bow with .052 E string. I also think the bow was causing some buzz above the 12th fret. I set the relief the way I like it and moved on to the action. After straightening the neck, I had to slightly raise the action. The high E measures 5/32" off the fretboard at the 12th fret. No buzzing whatsoever anywhere on the neck.
                  Last I reset the intonation using the Boss TU12. It went very well. The guitar intonated perfectly, it sounds better, feels better, and I'm much happier with this guitar now.
                  The saddles have that familiar stepped look too.
                  ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                    stomp boxes are NOT accurate enough to intonate properly... get a peterson, there is no way in hell an iphone app is accurate enough either, you need a decent strobe
                    The TU12 isn't a stomp box. It's a dedicated tuner with a VU meter. It's accurate enough. The tuner in "Guitar tool Kit" is extremely accurate. The biggest drawback is I cant plug directly into it so I have to rely on the mic. It's a great tuner but your right. Not suited for setting intonation.

There is a peterson strobe tuner app. It comes with an adapter to plug your guitar into the phone. Plenty of guy's on the gear page have used it and said it works well. I might get that.
                    ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
                      Here is what works for me, Get a Peterson Strobe tuner as they are very accurate.
                      Then measure from the middle of the 12 fret wire on the high E string to where the string just breaks over the saddle, set the saddle at 12-3/4 inch. Then you may have to fine tune it a hair, but it should be very close if you check it with a peterson strobe. After that adjust the B string saddle even with the High E string saddle, then move it back the width of the B string, back towards the bridge, then move the G string saddle even with the B string saddle, then move the G string saddle back the width of the G string.
                      Then on the D string saddle you want to set it even with the B string saddle, afterwards move the D string saddle back the width of the D String.
                      Then move the A String saddle even with the D string saddle & then move the A string saddle back the width of the A string.
                      Then of course the Low E string saddle needs to be set the same as the A string saddle & then moved back the width of the Low E string.

You may have to fine tune each saddle a hair after this but intonation is math so it shouldn't have to been fine tuned a lot. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

This is awesome! I've been searching for this "formula" because I think I am an octive up or down as far as saddle placment! I read the Strat setup in Dan Erlwine's book, and he said measure the G string saddle to nut, and that should be the scale length. But your method is easier to measure! I'll try it this weekend!

Thanks.
                      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

jacksonpc1, thank you so much for posting your "formula"! Like AndyK said, I have been looking for a good, basic recipe for a long time.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X