No announcement yet.

Need opinion on a fix up soloist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw for those who don't mind me braggin :P. I love these guitars. That's the problem. If a Japanese Jackson plays so fluid like and has a perfect blend of thick soulful neck and speedy flat shredders fretboard, than i can't imagine what kind of mindfuck i am going to deal with when i do get my hands on a USA soloist. The sustain! The improved floyd, possibly with a heavier block and the look. Although, nothing wrong with these two. Loving the graphic, but overall sick fretboard, inlay and binding combination!

Comment

What's the serial number? Remember, some early models had a rounded tip. IIRC Phil Collen had his Archtop head done that way because he kept jabbing people on stage.

As well, I'm sure I'm getting this wrong, but shouldn't that be an encircled R logo? The placement of the logo doesn't seem to be what's off - you have to take into account the trussrod cover and what appears to have been a Kahler nut. That moves the logo over a bit. The "safety headstock" would also mean the logo is more cramped for space.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
        i drooled to one day have a POINTY headstock.......... but this time with ''made in usa'' on it

This is not the Soloist you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          What's the serial number? Remember, some early models had a rounded tip. IIRC Phil Collen had his Archtop head done that way because he kept jabbing people on stage.

As well, I'm sure I'm getting this wrong, but shouldn't that be an encircled R logo? The placement of the logo doesn't seem to be what's off - you have to take into account the trussrod cover and what appears to have been a Kahler nut. That moves the logo over a bit. The "safety headstock" would also mean the logo is more cramped for space.
          The "TM" on the headstock was done on earlier SD era and can jive with this guitar. Hell, you bring up a good point. Everything was custom back then and someone might have ordered the guitar with a rounded headstock. I seriously doubt anyone could get a similar headstock nowadays, but back then, the sky was the limit.

But having a serial number is best way to determine what year is was made and determine its legitimacy. Not having one doesn't automatically make it a fake, but makes it harder to prove it's real.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

it has one, but he countered for 300$ and im not paying that much for it, so i'd rather not know any more about it. I am not going to wonder what if because I'd have to put a lot of work on it. For 200 i would've been okay with. Besides what i really want is a SL1M with red snakeskin

Comment

I strongly doubt that's one of the Soloist prototypes with the non-pointy headstock. All of those I've seen pictures of had 22 frets and slightly different body contours--they also either had no logo or the early 'hand-painted' logo.

Also, this guitar clearly did not have a Floyd from the factory. Most likely it had a Kahler, based on the screw holes near the nut area, as well as the obviously second-hand nature of the body routing.

Odds are, however, that it is a San Dimas guitar. Some of the early Ontarios were very similar (small control cavity, Kahler, etc.), but only for the first year or so. It really pisses me off to see a SD Soloist butchered in such a fashion. That's was ESP LTDs are for.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Remember, some early models had a rounded tip. IIRC Phil Collen had his Archtop head done that way because he kept jabbing people on stage.
                The headstock of Phil's guitars weren't THAT rounded! They still looked like a Jackson headstock, just slightly less pointy.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X