Gold on White - Yep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold on White - Yep!

Okay, so I got a wild hair to try something this evening. I was surprised recently at how much I liked the gold-on-white scheme when someone posted it. So I decided to try a project.

Two summers ago, I bought a white SL2H in a local pawn shop. Now here she is after my painting project tonight:

Overall pic (excuse the glare):

A body closeup:

Another one:

Headstock with locking nuts:

I'm pleased with the outcome.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Wow....I love White/Gold. Your guitar look great.
    The SL2H is the best.....my fav USA Jackson.
    Where did you buy the gold hardware?, what bridge, locking nut and tuners did you use, and was the swap very difficult?

Sorry......just noticed the Floyd......DUH.
    Last edited by Greentele; 03-06-2010, 01:57 AM. Reason: I'm dumb

Comment

Is it my monitor, or is the gold not reflective? It looks matted, which I've been trying to find (not fond of shiny/reflective gold hardware, but I like the knobs and tuning keys when they fade)
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Your tuners are still black though?

Comment

The route is painted so I guess you painted this yourself? It looks great.

Comment

I actually prefer it without gold tuners. White is about the only color I can stand gold hardware... This looks nice.

Comment

Got to love that!!!!
              '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
              '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
              '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '13 Gibson M-III
              Taylor 214CE
              Dean 6-string Bass
              Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Looks good but still love black hardware on a white body! Good job though!
                Guitars:
                Ibanez J-Custom RG8420ZD
                Ibanez S520EX
                Jackson DK2M

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Is it my monitor, or is the gold not reflective? It looks matted, which I've been trying to find (not fond of shiny/reflective gold hardware, but I like the knobs and tuning keys when they fade)
                  You are correct. Like always, the cap on the paint can is shiny and reflective, but the result is closer to a brass bed frame.

I used Dupli-Color Gold in conjunction with their Adhesion Promoter, all from the local auto parts store. I agree with you; the shiny and reflective golds and chromes are a bit too "bling" for me on anything but jewelry.

Now that I've done this, I might tackle another project. I put a black OFR on the red DK2M I bought last year. I might decide to colorize it, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                    The route is painted so I guess you painted this yourself? It looks great.
                    Thanks. But no, the route isn't painted. It's still the same black as before. I only painted the Floyd and locking nuts.

Comment

Shit...I guess I never even thought about that. So, did you start with a black Floyd and sand everything down? How thin did you have to do the paint? Did you have any issues getting the parts back together after painting?

And I definitely like the matte/satin gold finish. I'm working on a Strat project that's all white/gold--final few parts should arrive sometime this week I think.

Oh...but you need gold switches!!!!!

Comment

man that looks great! Have you thought about doing the pickup rings?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                          I used Dupli-Color Gold in conjunction with their Adhesion Promoter, all from the local auto parts store. I agree with you; the shiny and reflective golds and chromes are a bit too "bling" for me on anything but jewelry.
                          It looks good now but I wonder how long it will last. Even the gold plating on FR's doesn't seem to hold up that well over time.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                            Shit...I guess I never even thought about that. So, did you start with a black Floyd and sand everything down? How thin did you have to do the paint? Did you have any issues getting the parts back together after painting?

And I definitely like the matte/satin gold finish. I'm working on a Strat project that's all white/gold--final few parts should arrive sometime this week I think.

Oh...but you need gold switches!!!!!
                            Heh heh. No sanding whatsoever! I started with the stock black Floyd. I wiped each part down really well, then sprayed the Adhesion Promoter. Then waited 2-3 minutes, sprayed the Promoter again. Another 2-3 minutes, Promoter again. Then after about five minutes, sprayed the gold. Then two more coats of gold with 10 minutes between each.

No, the reassembly was a breeze. I made sure to keep the saddles in order because I wasn't sure if there would be any radius issues if I didn't.

Before I started this, I went to Carvin's website and viewed the gold OFR they sell, just to be clear about what parts get painted and what parts don't.

Yeah, I may tackle the switches at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                              man that looks great! Have you thought about doing the pickup rings?
                              Thanks! And yes, I actually did. The only thing that stopped me was the idea of having to re-mount the PUP's. I may get another wild hair and do that tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X