Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on SL1

Hi everyone.
    My name is Rick, i'm a new member and i'm here to ask you some questions.
    I'm looking for a used Jackson, a Soloist (love this guitar) SL1.
    I found 3 in my state and they vary from 1100€ (1501$) to 1500€ (2047$).

They're all in Amber Sunburst, S-S-H configuration, one with stock duncans, one with duncans single coils and a DiMarzio humbucker and the last one (the 1501$ one) with EMGs.

I really like to know if there are years with a better production (wood selection, finishes, etc) and if i coul space from hard rock to heavy metal esaily (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc....classic stuffs)

I don't know the serial numbers, but i'll buy it in summer (not enough cash at the moment, )

Thanks for the help!
    Rick
    Rick

AFAIK, the build years won't really make any difference. They should all be made of alder. I'd choose the one that looks best, then put whatever pickups I want in it.

Duncans are the stock pups. The other 2 guitars have gone thru pup changes. I wouldn't go for EMG's. They seem to have a nasty EQ-kill to them. The Dimarzio will have a soft top end and scooped mid range. The stock Duncans will have more mid-range.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

It sounds like they are all the same. Can you play them? Get the cheapest one that plays and sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
        AFAIK, the build years won't really make any difference. They should all be made of alder. I'd choose the one that looks best, then put whatever pickups I want in it.

Duncans are the stock pups. The other 2 guitars have gone thru pup changes. I wouldn't go for EMG's. They seem to have a nasty EQ-kill to them. The Dimarzio will have a soft top end and scooped mid range. The stock Duncans will have more mid-range.
        Yes, they're all made of alder with flamed maple top.
        I think that the one with EMGs has gone through PUp changes, too, but i already have a EMG-equipped guitar, and they sound all the same with active pups.

How are the SD classic stacks? :think:

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        It sounds like they are all the same. Can you play them? Get the cheapest one that plays and sounds good.
        I'll play them for a try when i get the money...

here they are:

w/stock SD pickups

w/DiMarzio bridge humbucker

w/EMGs
        Rick

Comment

The classic stacks are versatile and sound great.

Comment

Q: I really like to know if there are years with a better production (wood selection, finishes, etc)

A: Not really, but, some people say that the Fender take over helped quality over the last Akai years.

Q: and if i coul space from hard rock to heavy metal esaily (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc....classic stuffs)

A: Very easily. Basically the SL1 will do whatever you need it to do. They are very capable instruments.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Thanks flatpicker.

the serial number is 008893. When has it been made?
              Rick

Comment

No Prob.
                Numbers, I'll leave to the experts here. I've never been good at that.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn KK View Post
                  Thanks flatpicker.

What am I, chopped liver?

I'm definitely not the serial number hot-shot but...

The S/N should start with a U, not a 0. Assuming that is U08893, that is an older SL1, from the year 2000.

Currently they are in the U22XXX/U23XXX range.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn KK View Post
                    I'm assuming that's actually "U08893", which would indicate a guitar made in 2000.

Edit: hey, somebody got there before me!

BTW, that first guitar with the stock Duncans has an amazing top. If it played great, that would be my choice.

Comment

Sorry, the serial number is U08893
                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        AFAIK, the build years won't really make any difference. They should all be made of alder.
                        IIRC, pre 1998 SL1s were poplar. I just got a '97.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          IIRC, pre 1998 SL1s were poplar.
                          Yeah, they were sure poplar. So poplar they couldn't keep 'em in stock.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Choose the one with the nicer top. I like the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by kamelot101 View Post
                              Choose the one with the nicer top. I like the first one.
                              yeah, me too, the all stock one... but i haven't got enough money...

oh, right...are these legitimate prices? :think:
                              Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X