Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads vs Soloist

Hello there,

So I have a question, RR1 vs SL2H, whcih one will you choose and why?

Except their shapes and number of frets and pickups, are there any difference between them two?

Thanks

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I say the Soloist.

I just love the Superstrat shape, and there may be a time you like having the two extra frets.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

They have different neck joints, if that is important to you. I prefer that of the Soloist, it is so smooth, almost organic.

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        I prefer that of the Soloist, it is so smooth, almost orgasmic.
        Fixed.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I prefer the Soloist by far. 24 frets vs. 22 and a smoother heel. I typically play in the classical position, but I don't like the way the Rhoads forces one to do so when sitting down.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            They have different neck joints, if that is important to you. I prefer that of the Soloist, it is so smooth, almost organic.

What year is that picture? It looks like an old style heel. My 2005 Bengal has the smooth neck, no heel.

Comment

And FWIW, I think the RR's have superior upper fret access to anything besides a KV.

I like them all.

Comment

I vote Soloist.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I would vote soloist, no wings to chip the paint off of.

RR1s generally(?) have the front-loaded controls with the pickguard if that matters to you.

Plus I think the Rhoads' while awesome looking, seem small for me. That's why I got the KV2 instead.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    What year is that picture? It looks like an old style heel. My 2005 Bengal has the smooth neck, no heel.
                    either a shannon re-issue or like a 87ish
                    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

soloist has better upper fret access than either a RR1 or a KV, you don't have to reach around the body.

they have the same woods and components, it comes down to which shape you like, it is kind of a pain in the ass to play a rhoads sitting down, there is only one way to do it. and the RR1 has balance problems, always tilts forward cause the top horn is so much larger/heavier than the lower.

Unless you need 24 frets, it comes down to looks, the slight difference in feel you'll adapt to in minutes, but if you do require 24 frets, then the choice is already made, SL2H
                      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

If you can only have 1 guitar get a soloist. If you can have 2 get a Soloist and a Rhoads and have the best of both worlds. Soundwise they are both going to sound essentially the same so it's going to come down to comfort levels.

I love my Rhoads for playing while sitting but I do still use the strap to keep it from sliding. I've never noticed neck dive on it, the larger top horn seems to balance the neck perfectly for me.:dunno:

My soloist stand in (model 5 Charvel) is great too. I plan on replacing (or supplementing) it with a real modern soloist some day. The 24 fret neck is nice to have but I'm not playing past the 17th fret in most cases anyways.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

This is a question that you can only answer yourself. The thing is that some people jive with RR models and some people don't. I use the heal of my soloists inorder to rest my picking arm and the contours of the body match me a little better. So, I was naturally better with a Soloist. I tried... really hard to get use to a Rhoads but, it wasn't happening for me. Case closed.

You have to figure that one out for yourself.

-Nate
                          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

+1. This really comes down to where your preferences are on body style. If you prefer flying Vs, go with the Rhoads. If you prefer strat-like shapes, go with the Soloist. IMHO, the differences between the two models are otherwise pretty minor, and way secondary as far as making a choice goes.

Comment

The main issue here is the body shape. A soloist is comfortable to play sitting down and standing up for pretty much everyone. Rhoads not so much You really should attempt to try both types of guitars if possible. Guitar Center usually has a crappy indonesian rhoads as well as a DK2M or such. Best bet is to compare them, not for sound (DK2M will destroy the crap Rhoads) but to see if the RR shape is something you like.

If you decide both shapes are good for you, then all it really comes down to is personal preference. RR1 and SL2H will likely have the same or extremely similar PUs and the same body woods unless you are going for customs.

Personally I'd go for soloist. Some people love the RR shape but you may very well find you don't like it. Oh and another thing for the soloist...if you ever get sick of the "pointy" shapes in the future, the soloist will still be something you can enjoy
                              My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Working...
                              X