"There she is.....Miss America....."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "There she is.....Miss America....."

I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread about adding a pickguard to a Soloist (Yes, I know, dumb idea). Anyway, thanks to those who suggested Axe Wraps. I applied it tonight in getting ready to perform the national anthem next month. I'm very pleased with the outcome and I'll probably leave it on there for a while!

Since the slice around the edges didn't come out 100% perfect, I decided to add "body binding" with leftover pieces:

Of course, I also took the opportunity to lemon oil the board, polish the frets, and make a mild truss rod adjustment.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Very nicely done.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

She needs her black hardware back.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
        She needs her black hardware back.
        Nope. The decal is coming off at some undetermined time.

Comment

I really am impressed by the result. Are these applied like you would apply window tint or is a static cling or what. How difficult was it to apply it that neatly.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            I really am impressed by the result. Are these applied like you would apply window tint or is a static cling or what. How difficult was it to apply it that neatly.
            Thanks. It took some work.

What I did was:

1. Removed the Floyd and posts, tucked the switches inside the cavity, removed the pup mounts and pushed the pups down flat.

2. I took four letter-sized sheets of plain paper and taped them into one big piece. I used this because it's very thin and would allow me to lay it down on the guitar body and trace the cutouts for pup's, switches, etc...

3. Used that big piece of paper for slicing the decal.

4. Now came the somewhat tough part (although not terrible): applying the decal. It has a self-adhesive backing. I wiped the guitar body down with a cloth rag and peeled the backing off, then gently laid it down, starting at the neck end.

By the time I got about 2/3 of the way toward the "butt" end, I was in trouble. I wound up having to slice it because there was NO WAY it was going to stay consistent all the way down, especially where the stars are on the rounded part. This made about a 1/2 inch split, so I found a scrap piece that matched the split and applied it.

The edges around the body came out jagged in places, so that's why I decided to do the "binding" idea with the scraps.

EDIT: I also had some small accidental voids. I would find a scrap piece that matched the pattern and slice it to fit. If you'll look closely, it's like this just under the neck pickup.
            Last edited by PowerTube; 03-20-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Looks "dirty" though...
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                Looks "dirty" though...
                Meaning....?

Comment

huh, fooled me before i read it, damn love the graphic to bad it's not one of a kind so to speak, but looks sweet nonetheless.

Comment

probably the black, i like it tho looks more abstract than just a flag pasted in there which would kinda be less cool looking unless your going for a country look

i'd like to see more paint options like this on guitars that bolted steel ect boring shit - variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      huh, fooled me before i read it, damn love the graphic to bad it's not one of a kind so to speak, but looks sweet nonetheless.
                      Thanks. But yeah, if this were airbrushed it would be about a $4500.00 guitar. These decals will probably come off at some point.

Comment

I see what you guys are saying now. This decal is called US Flag on Stone, so it's supposed to be gradiated/embossed looking.

Besides, I ain't no Buck Owens.

Comment

I still think playing the star spangled banner with gold hardware is a disgrace. that's something the British would do! (damn Valium. this seems really funny at the moment.) lol!
                          j.k.

Comment

Ooh, I dig that! I may have to do up my DK2M in the same manner.. fly it!
                            KV Pro, SL2H, KE2, DK2M, Model 7 Tele, 6505+, Metal

Comment

That is certainly no bulldyke guitar. I like it. WOW, looks pretty damn good for a sticker! I had no idea they made those! what a great concept. I must look into that.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X