Jackson SL1 with "Jackson" trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SL1 with "Jackson" trem?

Hey guys, just wodering if the SL1 ever came with a Jackson logo double locking trem (maybe a JT-590?)? There has been an SL1 like this on sale locally for a while and I was just wondering how these compare to the original Floyd rose that are found on newer models. I only have two newer 2000 era USAs so that's all I really have to compare to! Any of your expertise would be much appreciated! Sorry if it's a simple question, I just don't know too much about the USA models pre 2000
    Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM.

Probably the JT6. The guitar should be pretty good, but if it's a JT-6 than that places it in the 86+ years i believe. I think I've heard other members saying that real floyds had to be purchased from Kramer since they held the rights with Floyd Rose, and apparently they were really expensive. For a while a majority of them came with Kahlers, until the jt6. It's supposed to be a good trem in design, but it is made of cheap metal and a lot of the components fail, but if you like the guitar make an offer and swap out the trem with an OFR, Schaller or even a Gotoh bridge.

Comment

Can't be the JT-6 as they were not using them by the time the SL-1 came out. The USA Soloist Production guitar began in the Spring of 1990 and used the JT-590 Jackson labeled Schaller trem until about 1995 where they started using the Floyd Rose trem. When the JT-590 was in use, the Production Soloists were not called SL-1's, just Soloists. You will not be able to tell a difference in that trem and the Floyd Rose.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        Can't be the JT-6 as they were not using them by the time the SL-1 came out. The USA Soloist Production guitar began in the Spring of 1990 and used the JT-590 Jackson labeled Schaller trem until about 1995 where they started using the Floyd Rose trem. When the JT-590 was in use, the Production Soloists were not called SL-1's, just Soloists. You will not be able to tell a difference in that trem and the Floyd Rose.
        Nice, good to know. So all the soloist before 1990 were not called SL1's or SL2's just soloists ?

Comment

Right, the USA Selects was the title given when they went to the SL-1 et al.

Comment

Do these go for the same sort of price as standard USA selects?? From what I can tell, it looks like this one may be around a '93, 5-way blade pickup switch. It's a lightning finish and looks to be in good condition, aside from some of the finish wearing off of the JT-trem fine tuners, etc.. Anybody know roughly what a fair price for something like this may be?
            Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Get the serial, that will help. Also, if there's 3 control knobs it's an original USA Production. They went to 2 knobs after losing the JE-1200 mid boost around 1995.

Comment

Thanks Charvel. It looks like it has 2 knobs. I have emailed for the serial number, but I have not received anything back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                  Nice, good to know. So all the soloist before 1990 were not called SL1's or SL2's just soloists ?
                  Correction: Anything made before 1990 is considered a Custom Shop model, as production models did not start until 1990. Any USA Soloist prior to 1996 is a Soloist Custom (according to the catalogs).
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

In answer to your original question, that guitar most likely has a JT-590 trem, which is a high quality Schaller unit that doesn't need to be replaced unless it is worn out.

Does it have a blade-style bridge pickup? From '93-'95, USA Soloists came with the Bill Lawrence 500xl pickup as standard equipment, along with uncovered Jackson J-100s in the neck and middle positions.

Comment

I got a close-up pic of it. Not too sure if maybe some of the pickups have been swapped?
                      Does the bridge look like it has a lot of wear?

Comment

That is the high quality Schaller made trem. It doesn't look very used.

The neck pickup is likely a replacement. The bridge is probably a replacement. Both not a bad thing being replaced w Duncans. The middle is likely stock.

Looks good overall.
                        Now go get it!!
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                        X