No announcement yet.

This is why some people whine about custom shop pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with the few who have said that they'd prefer NOT to buy a NAMM guitar. I'd like my new guitar to be handled by the company's techs only, and not hundreds of fans at a trade show. I really don't get why anyone would pay hundreds more for a NAMM guitar.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

My Nebula WR1 was shown at Namm (still got the sticker on the bottom E tuning peg and "Namm" written on the handtag). But I doubt Chris paid that kinda coin for it, and I wouldn't either. Methinks that KE2 will just get soiled in the shop til it gets sold at a whacking loss.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by McD View Post
        It was one of the things I wanted to fix when I got this job and I think we've done a good job about making sure it all makes sense.
        You did, McD. And we're all the better for it.

But it seems like that policy has only applied when a specific customer places a special order. However, from many similar dealer ads, it seems like when these types of "dealer stock" guitars (i.e., not special ordered by a customer) have gone out, many have been done at full custom shop pricing.

We appreciate the efforts, nonetheless!

Comment

I think the custom shop prices are very high. but thats my personal opinion.

as for the NAMM show factor, I think its complete BS. I have a NAMM custom shop, and the fact that it was a NAMM guitar only means that about 150 people put their finger prints on it before I got to own it. seriously! it adds no value to the guitar. there is so much of that "oh this guitar is so rare and one of a kind because Some guy I know has a friend that saw (insert guitar hero name here) backstage at after the show when (insert guitar here name here) was takin a piss in the bathroom at the urinal next to this dude and he autographed the guitar with one hand while holding his wang with another still pissin at the urinal. " some goofy ass line of BS like that. for all we know, the owner of this "custom one of a kind" guitar could have been all drunked up at the local dairy queen and bumped into some dude that, to a drunk person, looked like Slash cuz he was wearing a top hat and he asked him to sign the guitar when in reality the dude was some guy that works at the local car wash on midnight shift cleaning windows and was all drunked up himself and grabbed the top hat from his brother who is a slash fan.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I think current custom shop pricing is fair. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the price of my custom Rhoads. I do agree with the OP, that just having painted bevels on an otherwise USA select model should not constitute the crazy pricing the seller has on it.

And I agree with others that a NAMM guitar does not add any extra value in my eyes. I have a NAMM guitar that I bought used on eBay - my Shattered Glass DK1 - the seller couldn't get rid of it - he listed it 3 times before I snagged it for $750 in mint condition. I snagged it because of the price and the fact that it was a mint condition DK1. The fact that it was a NAMM guitar had absolutely no impact on my desire to buy it, but it's just a standard USA Select DK1.

If the NAMM guitar was an obvious custom shop job, like one of the Pablo Extremes - well, then I'd be willing to pay Custom Shop pricing for it, but I don't think being shown at NAMM adds any extra value to it and it should not impact the price.
            Last edited by Spiderman; 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I just put a down payment on the lefty soloist from NAMM. That fiddle costs a fortune, but I really don't mind paying for it.

It's still considerably less than ordering myself a custom shop (that comes next, I have some ideas cooking). And after comparing it to the two USA soloists I have, I can attest to the quality of this piece at least. All 5 of my USAs are fantastic but none of them are completely flawless. The NAMM one seems to be, and believe me, i know what to look for in this stage of the game.

Plus it says "custom shop" on the matching gun metal gray reversed headstock.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                ...because Some guy I know has a friend that saw (insert guitar hero name here) backstage at after the show when (insert guitar here name here) was takin a piss in the bathroom at the urinal next to this dude and he autographed the guitar with one hand while holding his wang with another still pissin at the urinal. "
                This should probably be a new thread, but..... rather than as an investment, I've never seen the value of a guitar that was owned by someone famous. Seriously. I mean, Slash and I both happen to be carbon-based life forms. We both sweat, piss, etc..., so why would a guitar that was owned by him be more "valuable" to me than a guitar that was owned by the pizza delivery guy down the street?

I could possibly see buying one as long as it was clearly authenticated as belonging to (insert rock star) and hoping that I'll outlive him, knowing that the value will go insane after he dies. Other than that, it's just a guitar.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Eh...I've had/have a few of NAMM guitars. Some of them were pretty nice, original and all of that.

It's only a selling point if it makes you pay more. Most cases I just waited around for them not to sell and bought them pretty cheap.

Pretty much like any extravagently priced Custom Shop guitar....wait it out and buy it cheap.

I got a Custom Shop Tele from New Metal Shop in FL for around $1200. Hell those guys 'gave' a lot of really nice stuff away last November. A Grover 1st run Legacy from some delaer on Ebay for $1100. Skully NAMM Rhoads for $1650. One of the 25 King Kellys for $1700.

I guess you can't pick you timing but if you keep an eye on them sooner or later you're going to catch a dealer with a stack of post due unpaid bills.

Comment

Working...
                  X