Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New From the UK, RRTF1 New & Nice....BuT....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New From the UK, RRTF1 New & Nice....BuT....

Hi Guys,

I am from the UK, new to your forum and this is my first post.

I suppose the first good guitar I got was a Japan Charvel Model 1a in the 1980's and I used that right though for 17 years!

Well, this week from selling a PRS and savings I FINALLY, manged to buy a USA Jackson RR1TF!

It plays beautifully, but it managed to get through Jackson Quality Control with a few issues, the first was lacquer pooling, a tuning key that needs lots of turn to get anywhere when the other tune in a quarter to half turn and scratches in the fretboard from the file used to finish the frets (or binding).

I am disapointed by this and the dealer (who has so far been very, very helpful) has had to collect the guitar and it is going back.. he will get someone local to refinish the lacquer if it is possible without stripping the whole thing down and is getting back to Fender on the other issues... of course nothing will happen there I suspect...:think:

This is the pooling, minor I know but combined with the other things it should not happen on a guitar of this value:

Anyway sorry to start on a low note, but my question is:
    Is this common, have the standards slipped recently?
    Has it changed with the Fender takeover?

Please do not go bananas and start flaming me guys... it is not my fault I got a guitar with problems that I am having to try to remedy...
    I suppose I will be without the guitar for a good few weeks... I hope the guys who refinish it at the dealers know what they are doing!
    Worry times... not a good start... it does look great though huh!
    Last edited by j2112c; 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM.

No its not usual. The quality under Fender is as good as it was prior I think. The odd sloppiness apears every now and then though.

You'll get this sorted and be happy I'm sure. Its a lovely guitar.

Welcome to the site. Whereabouts in the U.K are you?
    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I've got to say that it's very disappointing to see these paint "ghosting" issues recurring on new USA Select Jacksons. After the similar problems with Charvel pointy headstocks, etc. seemed to get addressed a few years back, I thought they had these kinds of issues resolved for a while there. Now, seems like there might be a trend of it coming back again on Jacksons. A minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but it makes one wonder about the people, processes and/or materials being used for production paint jobs lately.

Comment

Yeah, that's not ideal.
        Does it have an oiled neck? That 'pooling' looks a lot like 'lifting' to me, which Jackson have had issues with in the past, but usually only where there's a transition from raw wood to clear (headstocks on bolt-ons, oiled necks on neck thrus).
        If you got the guitar in the UK, there's a decent chance that the guitar has been in europe for a while, so may have been built when the lacquer issues were more common...
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

whats up with all these usa's being jacked, seriously a half dozen threads just like this one on here, seems like there rushing to get guitars out the door and getting sloppy

my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
            Whereabouts in the U.K are you?
            I am around Cardiff, but I am originally from the Lakes, so pass by Brum every so often.

Well thanks for the responses guys, it seems uncharitable of me, but I actually find it reassuring to know this is something that is not that uncommon and fate has not just singled me out!:ROTF::ROTF:

As mentioned in the grand scheme of things it is minor and I hope it will get sorted locally.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Does it have an oiled neck?
            No but it is where the wings connect to the thu-neck and though the neck is lacquered it has been treated differently as the body has been stained the darker brown.
            So it may be a transition area.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            If you got the guitar in the UK, there's a decent chance that the guitar has been in europe for a while, so may have been built when the lacquer issues were more common...
            Yes you are correct, if it helps the ticket said it had been made on 27th Feb 2008, so yes it has been here in the UK a while, perhaps these issues have been resolved then...?

I have to say though, even if the dealer cannot do much with the finish here I am having it back!
            It's LoVeLy!!
            Last edited by j2112c; 04-16-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Shouldn't it be just RR1T?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sorry to see those issues. Its a shame, but its been pretty common to get defects on a brand new USA as of late. Another thing that bugs me is the Flame "top"... Jackson should be ashamed of themselves using a paper thin veneer on a $2000+ guitar, same as used on $299 JS series guitars. Just doesent look right!

Good luck, hopefully you get your issues taken care of in a reasonable amount of time!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I've had a bad jackson as well in the past. It had sloppy fretboard with glue oozing out of the natural cracks of the ebony (light brown), as well as some little droplets of glue here and there dropped on the fretboard, and worst of all, having too narrow a fretboard where the treble string was too close to the edge and would slip off easily. Now this one wasn't cosmetic anymore. It effected the playablility. Kept it for a while and then got rid of it.
                  This was a limited edition guitar from circa 2005.
                  So you're not alone mate.
                  Last edited by ilbianconero; 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                    and worst of all, having too narrow a fretboard where the treble string was too close to the edge and would slip off easily.
                    Not a narrow fretboard. Just the Floyd posts were not drilled in exactly the right spot. Other people here have had that happen.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Welcome!

Shouldn't it be just RR1T?

Ha ha.. yes sorry Bassist Fat Finger Scourge strikes again.. typo!

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      Another thing that bugs me is the Flame "top"... Jackson should be ashamed of themselves using a paper thin veneer on a $2000+ guitar..
                      Well I agree... I was very surprised. It is as you say a veneer rather than a top/cap. It was one of the things that I also noted.

All this said of course it plays brilliantly, a bit like Parker guitars great playing experience just let down by details. If it had been Parker I would have expected it as they have a great product, but make it poorly and consistently poorly.

I think what surprised me was that I found a few issues on a JACKSON... I always thought they were bullet proof.... when I think of all the guitars that have rolled of their lines at such high quality levels it was really surprising to see fretboard marks from files and lifting lacquer...

Anyway I am offered my money back if I want and I have said NO WAY! Fix it ASAP and get it back to me... So that says everything about the guitar... It is very nice and in the mirror in my crotch pose too :ROTF::ROTF: I could almost be playing the Day On The Green Festival circa 1980's!! :ROTF::ROTF:.
                      Last edited by j2112c; 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Welcome.

It's commendable you wanna get it fixed and keep it. That pic looks familiar - did you buy it from Rich-Tone in Sheffield?
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Great guitar, shame about the issues though, hope you get something sorted man, it sucks when you get left with the faults after having to spend so much.
                          Gear

Jackson DXMG
                          Jackson JS30RR
                          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                          Blackstar HT5H
                          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                          Marshall JCM 800 2203
                          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                            Welcome.

It's commendable you wanna get it fixed and keep it. That pic looks familiar - did you buy it from Rich-Tone in Sheffield?
                            Yes mate it went for £1600 in the end any more and I would have been going secondhand.
                            I hope that is a good price as they are £2000 retail and secondhand £900 to £1000 ish, so I thought it was a fair price.

So far Rich-Tone have been very good about it, so let us see if they can get it sorted neatly.
                            Last edited by j2112c; 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                              I've had a bad jackson as well in the past. It had sloppy fretboard with glue oozing out of the natural cracks of the ebony (light brown), as well as some little droplets of glue here and there dropped on the fretboard, and worst of all, having too narrow a fretboard where the treble string was too close to the edge and would slip off easily. Now this one wasn't cosmetic anymore. It effected the playablility. Kept it for a while and then got rid of it.
                              This was a limited edition guitar from circa 2005.
                              So you're not alone mate.
                              I've had that happen to my KV2 limited edition, unacceptable missalignment on the bridge, strings and locking nut, the whole thing was a mess. good thing I could somehow correct it by moving the locking nut towards the low E string side of the fretboard. I really hope Jackson has solved this quality issue because I've seen it in too many jacksons.

Comment

Working...
                              X