Limited floyd pull-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited floyd pull-up?

So I got a sl2h and for some strange reason the floyd BARELY pulls up. I have the action set low but not some unbelievable physics defying low action. So what the hell? I checked the cavity and I found out that the base-plate of the floyd hits the route of the body when I pull up on the floyd.
    Is this normal? I can pull up MUCH more on my DK2M but thats a completely different guitar.

Is this normal with all of your soloists?
    Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM.

Pull Ups: Who Needs 'Em?

I don't do pull ups, too much work

And I don't wear 'em either.

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

No, it's not normal. Actually on any of mine, it's leaned at an absurd angle before it touches the wood (that's what she said) and as such I have to put a piece of quarter-round under there when I take all the strings off, or it will do funny things.

Is the TOP of the base plate below the face of the guitar? It really shouldn't be, unless you like some kind of odd setup.

Comment

Take some pics mang. My Sl2H has more than enough room for to pull back on the bridge, and my action is pretty low. Is your bridge relatively level?
        I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Oi, yet ANOTHER guitar built without ANY neck angle... I dunno whats goin on over there at Jackson, but this is the 4th guitar Ive heard of in the past few months that has been built with NO neck angle what-so-ever. When this happens, to get normal action, you have to lower the Floyd so far into the rout that it bottoms out on the shelf. My KV2 had this exact problem... I got it 2nd hand, so I was SOL warranty wise. I simply lowered the shelf of the Floyd rout and fixed the problem, but these issues should NOT be coming on guitars of this caliber. If you bought it new, send it back. If you bought it used, you can have it fixed, or try to get a refund from the seller. Just know that it IS a problem and is NOT acceptable.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
            Oi, yet ANOTHER guitar built without ANY neck angle... I dunno whats goin on over there at Jackson, but this is the 4th guitar Ive heard of in the past few months that has been built with NO neck angle what-so-ever. When this happens, to get normal action, you have to lower the Floyd so far into the rout that it bottoms out on the shelf. My KV2 had this exact problem... I got it 2nd hand, so I was SOL warranty wise. I simply lowered the shelf of the Floyd rout and fixed the problem, but these issues should NOT be coming on guitars of this caliber. If you bought it new, send it back. If you bought it used, you can have it fixed, or try to get a refund from the seller. Just know that it IS a problem and is NOT acceptable.
            My SL2H has the same issue... The knife edges of the floyd separate from the trem posts after a certain amount of pull up.

I can pull up three halftones on the G string, which most may consider to be enough, but I need one more halftone to play the intro to "Trial By Fire" by Testament!!!
            Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
              I need one more halftone to play the intro to "Trial By Fire" by Testament!!!

I had to laugh because I knew *exactly* what you're talking about as soon as I read it.

Comment

I guess pics wont be nessecary since these guys already figured it out. I bought it used too so Im SOL also.
                I didnt even know soloists had a angled neck other than the archtoped ones. Originally I thought the fretboard was too thin or the neck just wasnt protruting out above the body far enough.
                I was thinking about shaving down the route a tiny bit..how would I do that though?
                Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

It could be that the trem post are misplaced on the guitar. Please post pics. Neck angle is not an issue on newer SL2H guitars with recessed floyds.

Comment

Well Im gonna restring my guitar now so I'll post some pics asap of the floyd before I remove the strings and the empty route and posts

Comment

Okay, heres the pics. I took one of the strings to show if the floyd was mounted centered and a picture of where the neck meets the body to show if theres any neck angle or not:
                      Oh and something really important, those divets you see in the floyd route was caused by the intonation screws on the floyd. I switched out the intonation screws to shorter ones and they dont touch anymore. It gave me slightly more clearance but not much

Comment

What strings and tuning you use on that guitar? If it is e-standard and high e string is 009 gauge it looks like the brigde is misplaced by 1.5-2mm.

Comment

Yeah standard tuning with .009 guage. hmmm so its not a neck angle issue?
                          How much would a bridge post realignment costs usually?
                          EDIT:I just noticed you live in Finland Kisonen. Ill wait for someone else to chime in then
                          Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 04-24-2010, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem with one of my king v's and I ended up dremeling the cavity a little bit until it stopped rubbing. You'll have too look really close to see where its rubbing. I think the problem was caused by the post holes not being drilled acurately.

Comment

U can clearly see there's no neck angle on that. Defective.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X