No announcement yet.

Limited floyd pull-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, its exactly what I said it is. The guitar simply wasnt built right, nothing more to really say. You can fix it, just rout the floyd shelf lower and install low profile pup rings. Its a fairly easy fix, but it shouldnt have to be done.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah thats what I asked a page ago lol What tools should I use to shave off a little wood off the route? and the pickup rings are fine. They dont interfere at all. It may look that way but it really doesnt.

Comment

This looks similar to the Pablo NAMM 7 I had, but luckily yours doesn't look quite as bad. Since you bought the guitar used and I would imagine at a pretty good price, might as well see what you can do to fix it if you like the guitar otherwise. The neck does look angled forward a bit, but the action seems to be alright from the pics (it's not forced to be super high like mine was), and as long as you can get the guitar to intonate and stay in tune, it should be a simple fix.

I wouldn't be the guy to tell you how to fix it, but I'm sure someone here can give you some good advice on how to get it done.
        My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Yeah I read that thread Oblivion, totally sucks that happened to a pablo cut soloist. But the action feels good and the pick-up rings are fine how they are. I can only imagine how a 1 mm thinner fretboard wouldve ruined everything. I just gotta get some action into that damn floyd

EDIT:Better yet, I think i might as well block the damn floyd. Im in search of a back up guitar anyways. I might go with a used jackson or a custom Carvin. Post any advice in the carvin thread i made in the general section. I wanna be sure a carvin neck feels as good as a Jackson
          Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 04-24-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
            Yup, its exactly what I said it is. The guitar simply wasnt built right, nothing more to really say. You can fix it, just rout the floyd shelf lower and install low profile pup rings. Its a fairly easy fix, but it shouldnt have to be done.
            Could you please be more specific? What should you look for when buying a guitar to avoid what you're talking about?
            I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Well, if youve never done any serious wood working on a guitar using a router and templates, Id advise not doing this job yourself. Basically, you need to set up your router template over the floyd recess and rout the shelf down, probably about 1/8". You need to use a floyd router template to avoid straying out of the rout and ruining the guitar. Then youll need to deepen the floyd stud holes as well to match.

How can you avoid this? Well, you need to REALLY check out the guitar. Use the pics in this post as a refrence. If the binding gets smaller where it meets the body wings as shown here, the problem is probably there. If the action is low but the floyd doesent pull back much, or "pops" off the studs if you pull back too hard, then its hitting the shelf. The floyd should NEVER hit the shelf under any curcumstances... the strings should fret out before there is any interference.

Ya know, its funny... when I first started out with J/C's, I only had imports... Up until a couple years ago. I NEVER had heard of any of these problems until I started taking interest and buying USA made guitars. Go figure. Still, when its all said and done, nothing beats a USA (or PRO series) Jackson. Sound, feel, playability (usually ) is just second to none. Just wish they would get their damn act together and stop turning out crap.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

"Crap" is a delicate word in this case.

My Jackson USAs are all nothing short of amazing, With hand built instruments, occasional defects are more than common. It's the "testing" (for lack of a better word) phase that these shouldn't be getting through.

I have noticed a slight "slip" in quality recently, but I believe that basing your information off posts isn't the best option. This guitar was bought used, and therefore was most likely made a long enough time ago to be outside of that certain recent period.

Shit happens, fix it or don't buy the guitar.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

And it's worth noting, my Horizon has more issues than my Custom 24 and Jacksons combined.

The 24 actually has a few minor flaws that I consider unacceptable for the price I paid for that guitar, but it does sound awesome. It's an oldie, but it was my "go-to" for a while. I probably wouldn't still have it if it weren't for nostalgia and a really nice distorted sound.

The Horizon I only keep because it's good to go to B standard and such with, seeing it has EMGs. It has a really punishing sound - The 85 really makes notes fill the room, but there are several issues with it, one being limited tremolo pull-up

I've blocked the trem anyways, so go figure.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

About the date Grim, Theres a paper thats painted under a clear coat in the trem cavity under the claw. But it has a Date on it and has 2 people's names on it. One of them a guys name and one was Betty. I assumed this was the date it was made. Which IIRC was 3-22-2005. Im not sure about the month and date But I do remember it said 2005. Ill take a pic of it when I get home. Hopefully I can take a pic without removing the springs

Comment

In which case, This is not a "recent" guitar and therefore there should be no "OMG JACKSON SUXX NAO!!one!1!eleven!"

I keep my hangtags on all my guitars, So I know the dates. I actually untie them as well (instead of cutting), so they exist as a whole piece
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                      X