Custom Shop Option Scalloped Heel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Option Scalloped Heel?

I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track, but just getting consensus.

There are 3 variants of the heel for the most part.

The original had a big hump for a heel, then was revised in the early 90's with what seems to be the current standard, and then there's a fairly uncommon variant with even more wood removed.

So in the custom shop spec form, I assume the scalloped heel option actually refers to the 3rd variant and the first is more/less obsolete unless specifically requested.

Oh yeah, and this is a custom shop option only right? There are no production models using this?

Last edited by audiophile; 04-23-2010, 12:59 AM.

Its for bolt on's actually. The gallery is down right now so you can't see it, but mine has a scalloped heel. Think of a normal bolt on block but its cut diag sloping out as it meets the body, the cut gives you better upper fret access for sure. Its a nice thing to have. Though I bet if you specified it on the form with a picture of the third option they would do that for a neck thru.

Comment

ChrisB, sorry but that's not correct. The scalloped heel option is as pictured.

I believe what you're referring to is called the angled neck pocket or angled neck plate option, as seen on current PC1 and DK1 bolt-ons like below.

Last edited by shreddermon; 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

hrm I didn't choose anything like that (angled neck pocket). I did select the scalloped heel option on mine though. They may have inferred that what I wanted was that angled neck pocket you show above.

Regardless my advice to the OP would be to be as SPECIFIC as possible and include reference pictures. Leave no room for interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile View Post
          Oh yeah, and this is a custom shop option only right? There are no production models using this?
          A little mixed up.

Scalloped heels came out on Soloist Pros and early 1990's Soloist. The didn't float so well (I don't know the reason why), so we have the current heel.

Comment

I like my guitars like I like my Chevys. With big blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisb View Post
              Regardless my advice to the OP would be to be as SPECIFIC as possible and include reference pictures. Leave no room for interpretation.
              +1. Send a pic along with the spec sheet, so there's no possibility of a misunderstanding.

Comment

So what's this called then?

|My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                  A link to a picture?

Scalloped heel,

Comment

Looks like both to me - scalloped heel and angled neck plate. You can do both on a bolt-on, ya know.

Comment

Working...
                    X