Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret replacement nightmare!!!

Hi there.
    I need to replace the frets on my ’98 RR1.
    Does any one know which Dunlop Fret Set is the equivalent OEM replacement fret for my guitar?? I couldn’t find any information about the RR1 fret specs on the web.

Is Dunlop the best option?

I just want to keep the original size and material.

Please Help!!!

Thanks a lot.

Why do you need to replace the frets? Show us some pics, please. We sometimes see posts here from newbies saying "my local tech says I have to do a re-fret", and it turns out to be total BS from an unscrupulous character trying to make money off the less-experienced.

Without some pics and more details, my initial reaction is to be highly skeptical of what you may (or may not) have been told.

Comment

It hasn't happened to me in a while, but I certainly remember a handful of guitar techs in the NY area who always said "it needs a refret" as soon as you opened the case LOL. Sometimes you need a grind and polish, sometimes a refret, sometimes neither.
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Dunlop 6000 fretwire is the size youll want to use.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I guess I'm lucky, I took my model 5A in for a refret and the local guy told me there was plenty of meat left on them and all they needed was a good dressing.
          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Especially on most Jackson/Charvels I have worked on...unless severely abused
            with nightly cowboy chords those frets are good for many redresses.

Even worse is the thought that inferior frets would be used to replace the
            originals.
            Dunlop is the way to go.

Always get a second...third opinion.

Comment

First of all thank you all for your answers.
              Now, I as came home thinking about the damn frets and the photos I was going to take for this post, I realized that the memories I had in my mind about the wear were a bit exaggerated, to my relief.
              I talked to this guitar tech this morning and I mentioned that I wanted the frets checked. He said something about the fret wear and that’s when I f**kin freaked out. So the picture I had in my mind was that of a perfect square flat fret…LOL.
              Anyway, I took some pictures of the fretboard, trying to magnify the wear on the frets. Probably all they need is just polish.
              I’ll have my guitar checked by the guitar tech (he seems to be the best around here (Argentina)).
              It would be very helpful if you would share your opinions about the frets.

Thank you all.

Comment

Those frets dont need to be replaced at all! Ive leveled/crowned/polished much worse than that! A simple L/C/P will do for you, and be MUCH cheaper!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

LOl, they look almost new!
                  My frets look like someone took a hammer to them after only 2 years on my main players, imo those need nothing, but if you want a smooth new look/feel just a light polishing.

Comment

Buy this...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...ts/maintenance

The next time you are changing strings, spend an hour cleaning and conditioning the fretboard (Dunlop has a kit with cleaner, fingerboard oil, cleaning cloth and a polishing cloth.) and using the polishing cloth on the frets. From what I can see in the picture, you just have lines on the frets from the wound strings grinding during bends/vibrato. 10-15 minutes polishing every string change and those will go away. You only need fretwork if there are "divots" in the frets from strings or are fretting out on bends.
                    Last edited by Hellbat; 04-26-2010, 09:16 PM.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

those look brand new to me. maybe polish them with some steel wool, then they really will look brand new

Comment

Working...
                      X