Waiting for a new PC1 Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for a new PC1 Jackson

Hey guys....I've been posting on the Charvel boards for quite some time now...mainly because I've always been a big Charvel fan...since I started playing 25 years ago. Recently, I picked up 2 Charvel San Dimas USA Pro-Mods, and I play them way more than my other guitars (some nice stuff too...a 2008 Les Paul standard, Fender American Deluxe Strat, a PRS CE 22, and a J Custom Ibanez.

I've never really been a big fan of neck-through bodies....always liked bolt-ons better. I guess to each his own...but this is a big reason why I was always playing Charvels, when a lot of my buddies/band-mates switched over to Jacksons. I always loved their Jacksons, but I felt more comfortable with my old familiar Charvels.

Anyway, I was always curious about the Dinky model Jacksons...being that they are bolt-on models. Now that I'm at a time in my life where I can afford to buy high quality instruments, I've got just about everything i want....I just don't have a Jackson...and that's certainly one brand I've always wanted anyway....the PC1 in particular (since its release back in the 90s)

I've checked out a bunch of videos on Youtube, and other video sites...where guys are showing off the sustainer...it sounds cool as hell..but in the end, it's just a little trick. I'm more interested in the woods used....the style of the guitar, the pickup selection, etc.
    I'm a guitar guy...never been much of an effects guy....I love guitars, and play straight through an amp. I love to hear the different sounds that each of my guitars make. It's like they all have their own personality...

I would certainly love to hear from those of you who have PC1s..and what you think of them...sound, playability, quality of the instrument, etc.
    One other really important question....I play 9 gauge strings...the only guitar that I play with 10s is my LP...and I tried 9s on that guitar...but it took away from the natural tone of the guitar, so I went back to 10s. It's actually a little surprising that this PC1 comes with 10s, being that it's sort of an 80s style rock guitar. Have any of you switched over to 9s, and are you happy with that setup? There's almost no question that it will be the first thing I do.
    The other question is, what are your feelings on the neck of this guitar...particularly, those of you who are familiar with Charvels - new and old...does it come somewhere in that type of neck...or should I expect it to feel more like the neck on my J-custom Ibanez (which is basically paper thin, and pretty wide). I don't hate that neck, but I do prefer the Charvel necks.

Anyway, I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get it. I ordered the 'natural' finish...I really like the 'solar' and 'mocha' colors as well. If any of you have one and have pics, I'd love to see them

Thanks for taking the time to read my post....I look forward to hearing your replies.
    Todd M

I owned a PC1, sold it, and then bought another one a few years later. It's my main player. I have such a bond with that guitar, and I don't know why. I think it's the unfinished maple fretboard and the satin neck. I just restrung it last night, and part of that process (for me) involves taking steel wool to the fretboard, and treating it with lemon oil. Feels like a brand new guitar every time I do that.

I recently decided to sell one of my guitars, and I kept the PC1 over my SLATQH. The SL.ATQH actually played easier, but I couldn't bear to part with the PC1.

The neck is thicker than a typical Jackson, but I still find it extremely comfortable. I'm no shredder, so I can't speak to how the neck thickness may affect extremely fast soloing. I have noticed that hammer on and pull offs are not as easy or fluid on the PC1 as they were with my SLATQH. The intro to Thunderstruck was much easier to play on the SLAT.

As for the sustainer, yeah, it's a limited effect, but it does come in handy, Like the intro to Sweet Emotion. Very, very fun for something like that.

Here's a few pics of mine:

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

MY PC1 has quickly become my goto guitar. It travels well, stays in tune and sounds good in just about any application. Used it Friday night at a gig. Solid guitars and the sustainer is pretty slick. Good for some effects and it wows the audience if done right.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
        I owned a PC1, sold it, and then bought another one a few years later. It's my main player. I have such a bond with that guitar, and I don't know why. I think it's the unfinished maple fretboard and the satin neck. I just restrung it last night, and part of that process (for me) involves taking steel wool to the fretboard, and treating it with lemon oil. Feels like a brand new guitar every time I do that.

I recently decided to sell one of my guitars, and I kept the PC1 over my SLATQH. The SL.ATQH actually played easier, but I couldn't bear to part with the PC1.

The neck is thicker than a typical Jackson, but I still find it extremely comfortable. I'm no shredder, so I can't speak to how the neck thickness may affect extremely fast soloing. I have noticed that hammer on and pull offs are not as easy or fluid on the PC1 as they were with my SLATQH. The intro to Thunderstruck was much easier to play on the SLAT.

As for the sustainer, yeah, it's a limited effect, but it does come in handy, Like the intro to Sweet Emotion. Very, very fun for something like that.

- E.
        Thanks for the pics man.....that is a goddamm beautiful guitar. I'm not much of a shredder either...I play just straight up rock...any kind of bluesy/hard rock soloing works for me. I suppose that's why the Charvels appeal to me so much...because they're just easy to play...my vibrato is actually really good on those necks....as opposed to my Ibanez with a Wizzard neck...that thing is paper thin, but it's actually tough to get good vibrato on it....it's definitely much more for playing fast scales/solos...which I can do as well...but I don't really like that stuff.

I'm just really psyched to get this thing. I've never bought a guitar online, so I'm hoping the shipping goes ok...a little concerned with the hot weather...I'm pretty sure the first thing I'll be doing is getting a setup (as fixing guitars isn't exactly my specialty). Plus, those stock 10s with the FAT low E string just doesn't suit my playing style at all. Oh well...a $50 setup is a small price to pay for a great guitar.

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the pics Alex
        Todd M

Comment

I love the Au Natural finish.

This is my #1.
          Best guitar ever built IMHO.

PC1sm.jpg
          -Rick

Comment

Hi guys. I'm waiting for a PC-1 too. Pretty excited because i've been "pron"-surfing pc-1's for years and now i have a Natural on the way. Can't wait!

Comment

"Can't wait"

You and me both!!! Where did you order it from?
              Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                "Can't wait"

You and me both!!! Where did you order it from?
                Flea-bay.

Comment

A friend of mine had one and I played itt hrough my rig

I didn't like either the feel or the sound too much. Just me though.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                  X