Speed neck curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed neck curiosity

Does anyone have experience with the standard soloist neck and the speed neck, like on
    a KV? Is the speed neck noticably thinner/different.....or is it just very subtle? Just curious how one would feel compared to my SL2h neck.

The speed neck is a little bit thinner, but not hugely different. IMHO, the difference is more about the backshape than anything else. The speed neck gets a progesssively increasing flat spot at the top of the hump, as you go higher up the neck. Soloists are more rounded throughout.

Remember these necks are all finished by hand, though. So you'll likely get different opinions on this, in part reflecting minor variances from neck-to-neck.

Comment

Yes, the speed neck is thinner. I like the speed neck better than the standard soloist neck, but some of the older soloists came with speed necks depending on the year.

Comment

is this speed neck just as thin as the Kelly STD? or is it even thinner?

Comment

I love the speed neck on my KV2's. The speed neck also feels better to me due to the "thin" jumbo frets. The typical jumbos feel "clunky" to me. The speed neck coupled with the tall thin frets make for an extremely comfortable neck.

Anyone know if all of the Jacksons with the speed neck profile are fretted with the "thin" jumbos?

Comment

The speed neck feels alot different than the neck on my soloist.
            Granted I played a King V(signed by dave mustaine) for 10 minutes and Ive owned my soloist for a few months now. The Thin neck was diffenetly nice.
            In my opinion it feels VERY different, and not in a bad way at all. Its just suited for certain players more than others

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
              Anyone know if all of the Jacksons with the speed neck profile are fretted with the "thin" jumbos?
              Nope, just the KV. The Mark Morton model has those thin, medium jumbo frets, too, but the neck is much thicker.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                I love the speed neck on my KV2's. The speed neck also feels better to me due to the "thin" jumbo frets. The typical jumbos feel "clunky" to me. The speed neck coupled with the tall thin frets make for an extremely comfortable neck.
                Same here. I guess I have to live with the jumbos until I either get one of my Soloists refretted or order a custom shop...

Comment

to me, there was a noticable difference.. noticable enough that I bought an SL1, played it for about 2 weeks and realized I had to return it to the store and get a KV2 because I couldn't get used to the soloist neck

Comment

The necks on my 2 CS 7 strings are noticeably different. The soloist neck is a little thicker, rounder, while the KV neck is, well... perfect (for me...) It's by far my favorite neck on any guitar I've played ever, 6 or 7 strings... Not that I don't like the soloist neck, but the KV is by far my fav.
                    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X