Please advise:remove paint SL2H NECK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please advise:remove paint SL2H NECK

Anyone here ever remove the paint from the back of the soloist neck, rough sand it
    really good, and give a finish of gunstock oil? I've been in touch with a reputable luthier
    about having this done for a long time now. I just can't help but think back to the DK1 I used to own, and all of my other guitars that I have now,,,,,they have that un-painted neck that I just love. I know this would hurt the resale value, but if I don't give a care about ever selling it , and I think that this might clear up the only issue I have with this guitar from not being my favorite guitar in the world.....would you recommend it? :think:
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM.

If you're not looking to sell the guitar, and the work would be done properly, then go for it. You might need to be a little careful how you end the stripping at the body though - I'd imagine you might need to seal up the edge of the poly to stop the clear lifting. The other thing is that you might not find the nicest looking pieces of wood - when the woods going to be hidden, they don't worry about how it looks...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Before going to the extreme of removing the paint, you should try "scuffing" up the clear coat... thatll get rid of the "sticky gloss" that people complain about. Personally I LOVE painted necks but to each his own!
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
        would you recommend it? :think:
        No, I would not. I think it would be stupid to do.

Get yourself a custom shop or track down and unfinished neck soloist on ebay.

Sell your painted neck soloist before you kill it.

Comment

Poly necks need to be greasy, or they feel sticky. I never clean a poly neck.

Comment

[QUOTE=DonP;1350219]No, I would not. I think it would be stupid to do.

Get yourself a custom shop or track down and unfinished neck soloist on ebay.

Sell your painted neck soloist before you kill it.[/QUOTE

I agree. I need to spend less time GASSING for guitars I don't have and playing the ones I have more.
            This guitar is amazing as it is, and the more time I spend with it, the more I'm appreciating it. I'm done
            with this quest. End of thread!
            Last edited by lynchfan6; 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Every jazz guitarist will tell you the cure for gas is hard practice
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

why a jazz guitarist?
                do they practice more than other guitarists?
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

uh, yeah but that wasn't really the point. The point is that practice is the cure for GAS.
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

i just taped the binding off and sanded the finish off my kelly pro with different grades of sandpaper takin it slow and trying to make sure it was even, couldnt stand the painted neck, like it much better now, and i dont care about resale value, its not going anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by gmbob22 View Post
                      i just taped the binding off and sanded the finish off my kelly pro with different grades of sandpaper takin it slow and trying to make sure it was even, couldnt stand the painted neck, like it much better now, and i dont care about resale value, its not going anywhere

How did it turn out? Did it make the neck feel thinner? Just smoother? How did you get close enough to the binding without hitting it, or did you leave some paint there?

Comment

left a lil, strip of paint next to the binding, then sanded everything smooth and round as it left a bit of a lip because the poly was so thick, i wouldnt say its too very much thinner as i tried to remove finish only, not reshape the wood itself, and after final smoothing with some very fine grit paper and some oil its very smooth

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                          uh, yeah but that wasn't really the point. The point is that practice is the cure for GAS.
                          is it possible, that jazz-players are present?!?

but I got your point. there might be some truth in it...
                          it's easy to believe a specific piece of gear will help you become a better player.
                          but anyway; a new toy every now and then keeps me interessted in the game, so there might be some truth in that aswell... :think:
                          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                          X