X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older USA soloist necks.....

Is it really true that the soloist neck back in the day was a much thinner
    version than now? I heard this before, and was watching some old live shows
    from stryper, steelheart, etc....and the close ups on the Jackson necks make
    them look really thin. If this is true, when did the formulas for the necks start
    to change, and did the KV and kelly always come with thinner, speed necks? Just
    curious.

The earliest Soloists were closer to those out today. But by about 1986/87 they slimmed down. In 1990 the Production Soloists were slim compared to today's. By 1993/94 they switched to Lawrence pickups and the profile got a little bit thicker. Around 1996/97 they became as you find them today.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I have no idea on the 80's or early 90's but my '96 production Soloist was thinner than my last-few-years production Soloists.

I'm sure that those guys were ordering customs, so who knows if that is anything like what the "standard" neck was. Seems like back then, everyone wanted the thinnest possible neck. I guess hand cramps and weak, thin tone were all the rage.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        I guess hand cramps and weak, thin tone were all the rage.
        :think:Where's that facepalm icon

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          :think:Where's that facepalm icon
          Thin necks give me hand cramps.

Thin necks don't sustain as well or sound as good, either. Though, I don't seriously think the difference between my '96 and my newer Soloists made a difference in tone or sustain (but that guitar did feel less comfortable to play, for me).

Facepalm a handful of Barbasol.
          Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Comparing 86/87s soloists to a 2004 sl-1. The necks on my 80s models feel "fatter" than the sl-1 to me and the fretboard a little bit wider. Havent measured - maybe its just the feel of the shape

Comment

the 2 SD soloist i had both had custom neck shapes. one was 1 5/8 the other 1 3/4. the 1 5/8 felt very much like a moden speed neck, the 1 3/4 is very thin but wide, feels great.

Comment

Thin necks don't sustain as well or sound as good, either.
                I agree. Hamer did a study many years ago that showed a thicker neck gives you a more natural grip and that thinner necks fatigue your hands quicker.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thin necks don't sustain as well or sound as good, either. Though, I don't seriously think the difference between my '96 and my newer Soloists made a difference in tone or sustain (but that guitar did feel less comfortable to play, for me).

Facepalm a handful of Barbasol.
                  And I call this

Hands don't cramp.

Thin necks sustain fine. Same debate as the bolt on vs. neck thru.

Quit being such a whiner

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I agree. Hamer did a study many years ago that showed a thicker neck gives you a more natural grip and that thinner necks fatigue your hands quicker.
                    Yeah, but they should have done a study to see if the playing slowed with the fatter neck

Comment

Hands don't cramp.
                      Get the fuck out.

Comment

Yeah, but they should have done a study to see if the playing slowed with the fatter neck
                        Playing speed has nothing to do with the size of a neck, though. It's all technique.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wish the import Jackson necks were a little slimmer and more regular. My Soloist is almost exactly what I want in a neck. My imports on the other hand(no pun intended), are just all over the place. My DKMGTFFs neck is close to the Soloist, but my DKMG is almost like a ball bat with frets. Aside from the huge neck, its got that damn 590(? 580?) and EMGs. Im almost kinda sore about buying it in the first place. Sorry, I know this was a little off topic, but I feel better now. Admitting you f%$#@d up is the first step to recovery.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I guess someone should do a study to find out how Yngwie defies your law of guitar physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemures View Post
                              I guess someone should do a study to find out how Yngwie defies your law of guitar physics.
                              He does? Last time I checked he was a slow fat fuck

Comment

Working...
                              X