San dimas ontario era custom shop neck refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San dimas ontario era custom shop neck refinish

I recently ebayed a jackson neck ,it has the locks with the big screw heads (you can use a coin ) it seems some fool may have sprayed a thin coat of clear on the neck or it came that way ? But there is a few spots that dont look right ? Also i can feel the scarf joint and i can feel were the neck meets the fret board sort of a little edge there only on the bass side ! Can i sand that neck and reoil it ???? If so how ? What kind of oil ?? Besides that this neck is mint !! No fret wear whatsoever !! Has the stamp on the heel for the work order ,due date ,graphic etc !! Please advise me someone

Some necks from that era did have clearcoat, but those coats were usually quite thick & heavy. If the clearcoat is light and uneven, I would guess someone did it aftermarket & botched it. Sounds like it would be worth sanding it off, evening out the scarf join, and re-oiling. unfortunately I don't know what kind of oil they used, but someone else here can probably comment on that.

Comment

I believe (not 100% certain) that they use Birchwood Casey Tru-oil or some equivalent.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

could it be oil finished ? because its so thin and the few spots look like shiny spots ? anyway what kind of sand paper ? can you sand the edge of the fret board ,because the neck is a little bigger ,i would like to get that even also,!!!

but im afraid to hit the rosewood and the tiny marker dots !

Comment

Post several clear pics of the neck, the shiny spots, how the "neck is a little bigger" etc.

I'm hesitating to give you any advice at this point. You're about to go at a guitar neck which I've never seen, which neither of us is sure what it's finished with.

As for the rosewood & dots if you sand it with fine enough sandpaper it polishes right back up so the dots won't be a problem. But once you take wood off, you can't put it back, so let's see what we're dealing with, OK?

Comment

Working...
          X