Quick question for PC1 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question for PC1 owners

Hey guys....got my PC1 about a month ago. I bought it "used" from Musicians Friend...but it was a condition "1"...meaning, it's like new. They saved me 200 bucks because it had been taken out of the case, and because the user manuals were in plastic bags that had been open. Seemed like a good deal to me...which it was!

I do have one question. I've yet to change the two 9volt batteries...as the sustainer/harmonic whateverthefuckyoucallit thing, seem to be working fine. But I did notice that there's a little red LED on the back of the guitar...and you don't have to take off either plate to see it. Is that thing supposed to come on when you turn on the sustainer (or other switch). I've never seen the light come on. I'm guessing it's because either it comes on when the batteries are dying...or...my batteries are already on their way out, and they need to be replaced.
    Thanks for your help guys!
    Todd M

As I recall, that light is supposed to 'blip' on when you plug the lead into the guitar, and then goes out. And it'll come back on when the batteries are dying...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yep... it only blips when you first plug the cord in.
      Low glow = dying batteries.
      -Rick

Comment

Dont leave it plugged in, when not playing...it will eat batteries

Comment

I believe this is what you have.

The patented LoBat low battery indicator circuit is designed for use with pickups and electronics from EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and others that use 9 volt batteries. lights when battery voltage is below 7.7V. This early warning notifies the player it's time for a new battery days BEFORE tone begins to suffer! Also available in 3-Packs for extra savings! PMT LoBat Features: Notifies the player of low voltage BEFORE tone suffers Super low current draw will not reduce battery life Checks battery continuously during performance Status "flash" at start up signals the battery is good Micro size circuit mounts almost anywhere Peal and stick adhesive pre-applied Simple 2 wire installation
          Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
          http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post
            Nope... this is what he has.

See the hole with the red LED.

This is what is sitting behind it.

That's one very expensive and hard to replace sustainer.
            -Rick

Comment

That's insane... have to route the body to that huge circuit board.
              Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

That thing is loaded! Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  Nope... this is what he has.

See the hole with the red LED.

This is what is sitting behind it.

That's one very expensive and hard to replace sustainer.

Yes...this is the LED I'm referring to. So it's more of a low battery indicator than a full battery indicator?...is that sound accurate.
                  Thanks so much for the replies.
                  Todd M

Comment

Pretty much... if it's glowing constantly, you need to replace the batteries.
                    You can usually tell by the feel long before the light starts glowing though.
                    The sustainer will be very weak and have a wimpy attack.

Throw a fresh set in and crank the sustainer up all the way.
                    The whole guitar starts to vibrate.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post
                      That's insane... have to route the body to that huge circuit board.
                      Ya gotta put it somewhere.
                      It's also the only 18v system made and it will work regardless of what pickup selection you have set.
                      All the other units on the market require the bridge pickup be engaged or they won't work.
                      The thing is a beast.

I'm working on a point to point wiring schematic for this unit right now.
                      There are over 20+ connections on the board alone!
                      Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM.
                      -Rick

Comment

Don't mean to bug you but do you have any further information on this? I'm a tad curious about it and would love to read more about it!
                        Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

What do you want to know?
                          It's an OEM sustainer made by Floyd Rose specifically for Jackson.

This particular sustainer can only be purchased in a PC1 or from the Custom Shop as an add-on.
                          I believe the CS add-on charge for this unit is close to $600. Used to be a $900.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Throw a fresh set in and crank the sustainer up all the way.
                            The whole guitar starts to vibrate.
                            Yeah...that's what it does now...which is why I haven't commented until now. The guitar really does vibrate when this thing is engaged. It's certainly something to be felt.
                            It's cool...but to be honest...I could live without it. I love the feel and sound of this guitar without it. This is just icing on the cake.
                            Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.
                            Todd M

Comment

Working...
                            X