Jackson AT1 (poplar) VS DK1 (alder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson AT1 (poplar) VS DK1 (alder)

Hello! I got some question about comparison of this guitars.
    I dont need tremolo or floyd rose, so we talk only about sound or overall.
    What is better? Also i got a question about fretwire on AT1. Is it smaller than fretwire on soloist or a dinky? I checked some photos and they looked so.
    Im gonna play some metal stuff in drop C tuning.

Poplar and Alder sound very similar.

the DK1 has EMGs while the AT1 has more "classic" sounding humbuckers. The DK1 is better for metal.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Pretty sure that at least some of the AT-1s were mahogany. At least the one I played was. Don't remember the fretwire. The "good for metal" stuff is kinda funny tho, considering there's plenty of metal dudes playing old fenders and gibsons...

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I wouldn't put a strat in drop c.

If you're into playing metal, you should be playing the instrument that is designed for it.

Believe me, I own strats. they are fantastic instruments. I jam out with my cousin sometimes to Led Zep stuff at family things with my strats and it's a ball.

But for dropped-tuned metal, I wouldn't even think of my strats.

Instruments have a purpose to me. If you are into Drop-C, you are probably into a more extreme type of metal, a type that a strat or LP would not sonically or aesthetically fit into..

My 2 cents.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Drop C isn't metal, it's bullshit. Metal is real music, that takes talent, and only 6 strings. If you have to tune that low you're compensating for something you don't otherwise have. My 2 cents.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Pretty sure Zakk tunes low...
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey man, I have a guitar in B-standard.

I am not compensating. If you still think I am, your significant other begs to differ.

(I mainly play in D - Standard. Do I retain enough cock-girth for you?)
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                Drop C isn't metal, it's bullshit. Metal is real music, that takes talent, and only 6 strings. If you have to tune that low you're compensating for something you don't otherwise have. My 2 cents.
                I'd have to agree for the most part. I play metal only, and my guitars are either tuned to E or D#.

I think you are messing with the bass department and a lot of mud with all of the detuning and 7 and 8 sting stuff.

Iommi detuned, but still kept it crunchy. He didn't step all over the bass guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by terrorizer_ View Post
                  Hello! I got some question about comparison of this guitars.
                  I dont need tremolo or floyd rose, so we talk only about sound or overall.
                  What is better? Also i got a question about fretwire on AT1. Is it smaller than fretwire on soloist or a dinky? I checked some photos and they looked so.
                  Im gonna play some metal stuff in drop C tuning.
                  Welcome

See the shit you stirred up

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Welcome

See the shit you stirred up
                    Thanks man!
                    I dont care about that! :coolface:
                    Last edited by terrorizer_; 06-27-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      Poplar and Alder sound very similar.

the DK1 has EMGs while the AT1 has more "classic" sounding humbuckers. The DK1 is better for metal.
                      Yeah, i know, but anyway pickups on AT1 can be replaced (this also about emgs)

I found some pics of AT1 and it's fretboard:

My afraids confirmed. What can i say. This small tiny pieces of shit are fretwire?? Do not want.
                      But thickness of an ebony fretboard is a pretty nice)

Comment

I have an AT1, which is mahogany with a thick maple cap. The pickups (both Kent Armstrong JVA-1s) are nice, and the neck pickup has some of the best clean tone I've ever heard, but the bridge pickup gets muddy and lacks definition for the type of metal I play. I wanted to keep the guitar as close to stock as possible, so I put an Armstrong Super Distortion in the bridge, which was a HUGE improvement.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes the trans colors were Maple top / Mahogany back & solid colors were Poplar.
                          Originally posted by sully View Post
                          Pretty sure that at least some of the AT-1s were mahogany. At least the one I played was. Don't remember the fretwire. The "good for metal" stuff is kinda funny tho, considering there's plenty of metal dudes playing old fenders and gibsons...

Sully

Comment

Working...
                          X