The GID Spidey crawls from its lair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GID Spidey crawls from its lair!

This project has been sitting in storage for a while now on account of getting a new house/new job/blah blah. Well, with the 3-day weekend I got the itch to put it together. This was an '87 Jackson Strat that I got off the bay for around five bills. The condition was decent. The wiring and switches were a MESS. The body was flat black, and kinda boring. I sent it off to Mike Learn to have a glow-in-the-dark spiderweb added to the front. There is a Grover sig on the back Mike was able to preserve. There is a thread I started for the refin stage, but looks like it was deleted?? Well, I went over everything with a fine toothed comb: re-oiled the neck, scrubbed the trem, and completely rewired it. One of the J100's didn't ohm out, so I replaced it with a Model 4 middle pup (J200?), and replaced the EMG some knucklehead put in there with a J80C. It's an old screw-in Floyd that cleaned up nicely. This baby kicks ass, and is pretty much mint looking now.

And, of course, the long-exposure-time night shot!!

Cool! That came out great.

Comment

Here's the control cavity. Not too shabby. The original two-way switch for the bridge pup was shot, so I replaced it with a Dimarzio on-off-on three way so I can tap the J80C. Interestingly, that means this guitar can now produce TWELVE DIFFERENT SOUNDS. Well, eleven if you don't count "all off" as a sound

Comment

That's just all sorts of bad ass.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Pretty sweet!!
          Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
          http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Does it float?

Comment

I'm diggin' that one!!
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

oh it floats. we all float down here.

Comment

Great looking guitar. The glow pic is killer.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Was hoping for a spider raping an alien graphic, but that's cool too.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

It looks really cool,i bet it plays great too
                        Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm really happy so far. The whole turned out to be greater than the sum of its parts after it all got put together. There was just somethin about 1987 I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by kamelot101 View Post
                            oh it floats. we all float down here.

The reference works on a couple levels, nice! (IT also appeared as a spider)
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Update! So I got a real J100S from the seller finally, and swapped out the J200. The J100's are just made for this guitar, they sound great. The J200 was a bit constipated. I changed out that 3-way mini-switch with a black 2-way switch. I mixed it up a bit, and when the middle switch is on, it coil taps the bridge. So, when I play the middle pup and the bridge pup together, it automatically taps the bridge. This gives me 6 ohms for the middle and 6 ohms for one coil of the J80C, for around 3 ohms total paralleled together. The compromise is that I can't play the bridge pup tapped on its own, but the mini 3 way was waaay to hard to use. This gives me a nice clucky strat sound in that position. This is such a fun guitar to play, it really does the souped up strat sound well.

Comment

Working...
                              X