No announcement yet.

Jackson kv2 problems?!?!?!?!?!?!? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson kv2 problems?!?!?!?!?!?!? Help!

SO I SHELLED OUT $2000 FOR A NEW JACKSON KV2 FROM MF AND I PLUGGED IT IN TO MY MARSHALL JVM AND STARTED TO ROCK OUT! ONLY PROBLEM IS WHEN I ROLL OFF THE VOLUME I CAN STILL HEAR THE GUITAR TRHOUGH THE AMP. THEN WHEN I TAKE MY HANDS OFF OF THE GUITAR IT MAKES A HUM. TOUCH THE STRINGS HUM GOES AWAY. TOUCH A VOLUME POT HUM GOES AWAY, TOUCH THE AMP HUM GOES AWAY. SENT IT BACK! GOT A NEW KV2. DOES THE SAME THING. PLUGGED IT INTO MY MESA DUAL REC AT A DIFFERENT LOCATION WITH DIFFERENT CABLES! DOES THE SAME THING. MY LP, EXPLORER, AND SG DO NOT DO THIS THROUGH EITHER AMP WITH EITHER CABLE? MY JACKSON RR5FR DOES NOT DO THIS? CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS. I AM SICK OF SENDING IT BACK FOR ANOTHER ONE AND HAVING TO WAIT JUST TO FIND OUT IT STILL DOING IT? IS THIS COMMON OR NORMAL FOR A KV2 TO MAKE THIS MUCH NOISE AND ALSO THE POTS AND SHARK FIN SWITCH ARE SCRATCHY! WTF?:think:

BTW IT'S MY FIRST USA JACKSON, DO ALL USA'S DO THIS?

Sounds like the selector switch isn't grounded correctly. i don't know how handy you are with electronics, but if you take off the back plate look at the toggle switch or lever I guess in this case and make sure there is a grounding wire attached somewhere on the switch frame.
    Last edited by plon; 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

That's *sort of* funny you should say that because both my 2001 KV2 and my 2009 CS KV2 do the same thing. As long as I am touching the strings, they are quiet. I am ok with that... probably because I got used to it long ago.

EDIT... my pots and stuff are not scratchy.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

You bought from Musician's Friend. Probably been sent back a dozen times and they just clean it up and relist it.

Probably baked the pots when they were soldering it. Easy swap.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by newc View Post
          you bought from musician's friend. Probably been sent back a dozen times and they just clean it up and relist it.

Probably baked the pots when they were soldering it. Easy swap.
          who should i have got it from? Gc said they would just have to order 1? Figured i would save on the sales tax. Is sam ash or gc any better?

Comment

Originally posted by SHREDINATOR View Post
            PROBLEM IS WHEN I ROLL OFF THE VOLUME I CAN STILL HEAR THE GUITAR TRHOUGH THE AMP. THEN WHEN I TAKE MY HANDS OFF OF THE GUITAR IT MAKES A HUM.
            I'd suggest you take a look at your capslock key first

after that start pressing on all solderpoints with something non-conductive (toothpick?) to see if the hum goes away

Also: some volumepots do not go to Absolute Zero (with this I mean you faintly hear the guitar but by no means should the sound be very audible)
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You may also want to check if it was wired correctly. I've had a new Jackson where the terminals on the pots had been mixed up which caused probems like you mention.

Comment

Why don't you take the guitar to a tech who knows what they are doing and see what they tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                  Why don't you take the guitar to a tech who knows what they are doing and see what they tell you.
                  +1. It's just a grounding issue. Shouldn't be there in the first place, but should be a quick fix for someone who knows their way around a multimeter.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                  X