Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA custom shop 1988 ?

Hi guys,

i saw this ads for a Jackson USA custom shop 1988 "limited edition 88" written on the 12th fret on the neck (scalloped also starting at the 18th fret)

i've google and found an axe with the same neck as a "limited edition 88", but the body was shaped quite differently. Ok it's supposed to be a CS, so unique, but also a limited run so non unique to me. but i can be wrong....

So in your opinion : true ? fake ? if true what is it worth for ?

thanks

Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
    Charvel SD Warren DeMartini Crossed Swords
    Jackson SL-2H LS

Probably a parts mutt using one of the '88 Ltd. Ed. necks. Could still be a nice guitar, though. Those necks are fantastic.

Comment

I don't think the Limited 88 was a Custom Shop.
      It was a limited run and the body was an aborted attempt at another Jackson project
      which gave it a strange recessed Floyd route.

There was also a recess extending behind the route almost like an Ibanez Reb Beach, but not cut through.

Someone hacked that one up pretty well.

Pic I stole from elsewhere:

Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

But that looks like it has a matching headstock.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

IIRC the bodies on those were originally designed for a 12 string model that never took off. They kept the route behind the bridge and used the left over stock bodies for the 88.

Comment

My guess is a mutt with a refinned headstock, but I wouldn't put it past those kooky Jackson factory guys to grab a leftover Ltd 88 neck for use on a CS.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              My guess is a mutt with a refinned headstock, but I wouldn't put it past those kooky Jackson factory guys to grab a leftover Ltd 88 neck for use on a CS.
              ...In which case it would have "Custom Shop" on the headstock, where the LTD did not.
              Right?

Comment

Nope.

The 'Custom Shop' logo didn't appear 'til the early 90's. There's plenty of 'custom' guitars out there with no CS logo, even after the logo was introduced. And prior to the USA Series back in 1990 or 91 (can't remember which), there were no production models as such (ironically, apart from the 88 LTD), so everything was effectively a custom.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Can't edit my post for some reason, so to add:

Of course there were the standard common specs (student vs custom, crackle bolt-ons, etc etc)... Anyway, when it comes to the guitar in question, we've seen it before and my bet is that it's a mutt.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                    IIRC the bodies on those were originally designed for a 12 string model that never took off. They kept the route behind the bridge and used the left over stock bodies for the 88.
                    +1. They were originally supposed to be 12-string models.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmm.. There was a guy who had one of these on the Dallas Craigslist awhile back. more like the blue stock photo.. Ad is gone. but i think its just a custom paint parts guitar.. only way to really know is find the serial number and get in touch with jackson.. ??

Comment

I've seen this Jackson before (or one like it). I had a picture of it in my files that I saved in July 2007 but I don't remember whether it was from one of the internet boards or Ebay. Here's the pic that I have. Sorry I don't have any more info on it.

Comment

Parts mut or not that is a sweet graphic!

Comment

the guy has wrote in the ads it's was a Dan Lawrence one.
                            Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
                            Jackson SL-2H LS

Comment

So i had a mail exchange with the owner. He is the second owner the first one was in US, and ask D.Lawrence for this custom paint in 1990. The original color is purple. Would D.Lawrence made a fake on a mutt guitar (on the headstock which is a matching one, you have "JACKSON made in USA" written ) ??? i would not bet on that.

Still that the owner ask for between 2100/2600 USD. i know that second hand Jackson are more expensive in Europe, but i won't go for that one as you can have genuine second hand CS for that price.

last but not least here is pic of a REAL LTD88 owned by one member of the french Jackson Addict Forum with the certificate etc...

Last edited by MadPeter; 08-05-2010, 02:44 AM.
                              Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
                              Jackson SL-2H LS

Comment

Working...
                              X