Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soloist with non-recessed Floyd...what years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist with non-recessed Floyd...what years?

I am really digging my Caparison TAT with its non-recessed Floyd. In fact I'm finding it ackward to play on my recessed Floyd guitars.

What years Soloist should I be looking for for non-recessed Floyds?

Production soloists have always had recessed Floyds, with the exception of the Shannon Soloists from the mid 90s. So you're looking for a custom, either from before there was ever a 'production' range (pre 1990 or so when pretty much all guitars were 'custom' orders) or as a 'custom shop' made after this time.

As a rough guide though, look for pre 1990 and that'll be your best shot...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Or why not look out for a Charvel M5 or M6? These were very similar to soloists,some even say they were the precusor to the modern soloist,and they sported a non-recessed JT6 trem from `87-89.Best of all they can be found for not a lot of money!

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is. I can switch between both no problems.

As far as looks, I like the look of either as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I don't see what the big deal is. I can switch between both no problems.

As far as looks, I like the look of either as well.
          I really don't care how you handle them...I find it changes my picking hand and attack. And since its my guitar and music and expression...I think I'll use my money for the guitar I like...

Thanks for your worthless post...

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
            I really don't care how you handle them...I find it changes my picking hand and attack. And since its my guitar and music and expression...I think I'll use my money for the guitar I like...

Thanks for your worthless post...
            Well, if you would learn how to play, you wouldn't have these issues.

You are welcome for my worthless post.

Comment

Comment

I find the non recessed trems preferable because there is a bit more neck angle and the strings sit higher off the face of the guitar. Because I pick deep in sometimes, with recessed trems I tend to bounce off the finish and it can throw me off a bit. I can live with it and do adjust but I just prefer that little extra breathing room.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have one that is and one that isn't, I like both for different reasons but the non-recessed is the one I like best (so is my TMZ Charvel). I think it's because I played LPs for so long and I'm used to my hand being up a bit.
                  Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I also prefer non-recessed trems due to the neck angle and the fact that the strings sit higher off the body. It is a "big deal" to me, even though I also own a recessed Soloist Pro that I love to bits.

Any Soloist before 1990 will have a non-recessed trem. Look for the old-style rounded neck heel as a clue on eBay, even if the other pictures aren't very good etc. And yes, a Charvel Model 5 or 6 is a good alternative if you can't find a non-recessed Soloist. However, just do an eBay search. There are several pre-1990 Soloists on eBay right now, some at pretty good prices.

Comment

I prefer non-recessed as well, and will not even buy anything with a recessed trem anymore. Because if I did, I know I would still pick up my Model 6 every time; because it's way more comfortable to play with its non-recessed Floyd. ...and why spend cash on something I wouldn't play?

Comment

Anybody taken an SL1T and modified it to have a non-recessed Floyd? I really like my SL1T, but miss not having a trem. And I like non-recessed trems better (and an SL1T has the neck angle to accommodate that).

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                          Anybody taken an SL1T and modified it to have a non-recessed Floyd? I really like my SL1T, but miss not having a trem. And I like non-recessed trems better (and an SL1T has the neck angle to accommodate that).
                          Although I'm certainly not a stranger to the idea, I'm not sure I'd do it to a USA Jackson. Too much dosh involved. Had it been an import, I wouldn't have hestitated.

Comment

Working...
                          X