Screwed up my kelly......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up my kelly......

well in the effort to put in the new planet waves locking tuners in my KE2 screwed up my headstock. I should have done it different and i knew it but stupidly didnt follow my own advices. Normally when expanding the holes for new tuners i use a rounded sanding/grinding bit to remove the clear coat from the edge of the hole so it doesnt crack and chip. Well for some idiotic reason I didnt do it this time and all the holes but one went fine. Then on the second to last one the drill bit caught the edge and cracked the clear coat and lifted it along with part of the K in the jackson logo. super glue and a little clamping got it to look 99% better but It just gets my goat that I was so stupid. I knew better and would call someone an idiot for making the same rookie mistake. But It gives me a reason to refinish this guitar trans purple. If anyone knows of someone who does good refins but doesnt ask for your mothers soul in return let me know. My kelly is scared and its really getting to me. None of you would even be able to see it even up close but I know what happened and that is getting to me. Some one please tell me its not too big of a deal and to quit whining.

Nah not that big a deal. I bought some PW locking tuners for my SL1 but once i saw i had to drill em out. i just stuck with the factory grovers, which is strange cause all the japanese jackson i have they slide right in without any modifaction, but Get with mike learn. has a section in the dealers page here.. with someone like him. its unlimited the refinishes that can be done..

Comment

get_a_brain_morans.jpg

J/K dude! Hope it all turns out OK...just HAD to use this pic though!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1060[/ATTACH]

Hey, who you callin a moran you moran? Great image

Comment

I did something similar on my RR1T installing schaller locking tuners, but not that extreme. just little bits of chipping. My problem is I get the parts and get so amped up that I HAVE to get the installed RIGHT NOW. So I hack things up a bit and then regret the haste later. It least the clear chipping on mine is completely concealed by the tuner nuts and washers.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I know a little too late, but.... The dremel tool works great. Another way I have had success is to put masking tap over the holes on both sides and then run the drill through, but make the drill spin BACKWARDS (counterclockwise). By running the drill backwards, you are not using the cutting edge of the drill. It won't tear and want to "grab". This is also good when drilling plastic.

Comment

A tapered ream is what I would use.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                A tapered ream is what I would use.
                +1. Tape the holes to prevent chipping, then ream out by hand with a tapered reamer.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]1060[/ATTACH]

J/K dude! Hope it all turns out OK...just HAD to use this pic though!
                  Funny enough my last name is moran. No joke.

Comment

Working...
                  X