New Guitar is HERE. First Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    I'd say that price is on the higher side for the market at the moment. Especially without 'proof' that the angled neck pickup is factory... but the condition is good and what matters is that you're happy with it. And it seems you are so it's all good...
    yeah i mean honestly it's perfect, i don't plan on ever getting rid of it. but i've heard many people saying that was a typical guitar built by mike. i'd doubt anyone would change a pickup angle.

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
    cool looker...like the red pins
    that was what made me buy the thing instantly. at first, from the crappy pic they had loaded it looked like black pinstripes and a regular pickguard. once i saw red and chrome, there was no decision. there's just something about red on white. it's just so classy.
    Last edited by ccasj; 08-28-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccasj View Post
      i've heard many people saying that was a typical guitar built by mike. i'd doubt anyone would change a pickup angle.
      Not sure it's typical of 'Mike', only that it's typical of that era of production. The exception to that is the angled pickup which is unusual at least - it makes me wonder if the guitar was originally a single hum, or if it was reworked at some point. And the only way to tell that is to pull the pickup and check the route / paint...
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i plan on changing strings and checking that stuff out tomorrow. we shall see.

Comment

looks original to me.

Comment

I'd be a little surprised to see the earth tag painted if it was original. Strange things happen, but that makes me think refin.

Comment

i don't really know my shit, so I don't know about that. but this pic leads me to believe a refinish was unlikely unless that cavity and handwritten number were never painted in the first place

Comment

F-ING awesome. Just got a woody.

Comment

Originally posted by ccasj View Post
                  i don't really know my shit, so I don't know about that. but this pic leads me to believe a refinish was unlikely unless that cavity and handwritten number were never painted in the first place
                  Hmmm. Like I said, anything is possible, but I'd expect to see a stamp with the specs written in that cavity (see below). Also, that 'work order' number is written upside-down from what would normally be the case, plus the black 'silhouette' looks kinda funky to my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to piss on your fireworks - if you love the guitar, it's all good. But its originality might be worth investigating...
                  Last edited by neilli; 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

hmm.. that is interesting. well to be honest, I really don't care. this guitar isn't going anywhere. it would be nice to know if it was original, but i don't see how that's possible, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. I know its a 1986 custom shop Jackson, which is what I wanted, and it has the perfect features. So I'm happy. unless you know of any other way (such as log books.. don't know if jackson has them).

Comment

The logs are around, but they're pretty much inaccessible. And if you can get them to search, having the w/o number is a big help, and in this case, there's no guarantee that the number in the trem cavity is the w/o.
                      Whatever, you have a guitar you like, so play it and enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        The logs are around, but they're pretty much inaccessible. And if you can get them to search, having the w/o number is a big help, and in this case, there's no guarantee that the number in the trem cavity is the w/o.
                        Whatever, you have a guitar you like, so play it and enjoy it
                        will do finally bought some tools so I could set it up. put on 11-52's and put it in Eb. adjusted the pickups and aligned the trem. All I need now is a bar for the trem. I'm really loving it so far. Pickups are a bit lower output than what I'm used to, I'll have to pick up a boost or OD pedal.

Comment

you need to crank them floyd posts down. flush mounted floyds have a purpose, SUSTAIN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BamaKramer View Post
                            you need to crank them floyd posts down. flush mounted floyds have a purpose, SUSTAIN!!!
                            enlighten me please I've only had one lfr before, and this is the first time i've even seen a top mounted ofr. but if i lower those mounts (assuming you mean the two black studs holding the floyd up), then wouldn't that simply just lower the action? I was planning on dropping it a few mm's anyway, but how would that affect sustain?

Comment

Originally posted by BamaKramer View Post
                              You are joking right? You realise that's a floating floyd, not a face-mounted floyd and the neck angle is set for that? If 'cranking the posts down' was an option, it would be totally unplayable right now because the strings would be 1/2" off the neck

Comment

Yeah, you can't lower it too much, but you can drill holes through a few quarters and screw them in under the trem. I hear it makes things more 'brown'.
                                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                                X