need help with Jackson PC1 fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with Jackson PC1 fretboard

So I got my 2nd PC1 last night... it's gorgeous, plays and sounds great. Here's the problem... after about 45 min of playing, I noticed discoloration in the fretboard. I always play with clean hands and I've never had this problem before. I don't know what the deal is.

My other PC1 was a 2008 or 2009... I gigged with it dozens of times... in bars, outdoor festivals and countless rehearsals. the fretboard never discolored and looked as gorgeous as the day that i got it.

Anyway, I know that the PC1 fretboards can get dirty over time, but not after 45 min of playing!!! Anyone else have this problem too? How do I fix this?

Hello

I think there are more important things than dirty fretboards to worry about, but since this is bugging you...

Do you have new strings on the one that's getting dirty, or different strings? My fingers get dirty from playing because strings have iron on them that rubs off.

Comment

Don... thanks for the response. I agree that there are things more important than dirty fretboards, but when you drop $2K on a new guitar, the fact that the fretboard got this dirty after less than an hour of playing does worry me. imagine what it will look like after a year or 5 years...

strings are new, as is the guitar... it came right out of the box... right from jackson

Comment

Try cleaning it with lighter fluid. It won't clean dirt out of raw wood, but it works well for dirt, grime and gunk that accumulate on finished Maple fret boards.

Comment

The strings may be fresh out of the box, but that hardly means they are new, just unplayed. New strings would help for sure.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i think i figured it out... the wood grain seems to change on the fretboard... it looks more porous on the side of the fretboard of the G - high E strings. It's in those spots where it seems the dirt/greyness appears the most.

Comment

It's an unlaquered maple fret board - it'll get dirty. Get used to it, or hang it in a glass case
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

You can send a Email to Musicman and they will tell you how to clean the fingerboard. I used to have their reply but can not find it any more.

Comment

Steel wool and lemon oil.

Don't forget to put masking tape over your pickups or they'll be covered with little metal threads.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    It's an unlaquered maple fret board - it'll get dirty. Get used to it, or hang it in a glass case
                    I was going to say the same thing, hang it on the wall and don't touch it

Here's a thought. Why did Fender move to a rosewood fretboard in the 60s after being all maple in the 50s? People like this complaining maple gets dirty

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Here's a thought. Why did Fender move to a rosewood fretboard in the 60s after being all maple in the 50s? People like this complaining maple gets dirty
                      Their maple boards are cleared with high gloss and the maple won't really get dirty.... unless being played for a long time and the clear coat starts to wear off.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not 'How bad will it look in 5 years?' but, how cool will it look in 5 years?
                        http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X