1989 Rhoads Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Rhoads Value

I have no idea if this is acceptable to be asking for opinions on a guitars value in this forum, if not please delete. I have a close to mint 1989 Rhoads that I may have to sell for personal reasons but I have no idea how much this guitar is worth. I know that Jackson was more of a "built to order" shop back then but I have idea how much this effects value if at all. Case is kind of rough but the guitar has no marks or dings and has original frets (as far as I can tell) with hardly any wear. I had a thread about this guitar when i bought it so you may have seen it before.

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
    I had a thread about this guitar when i bought it so you may have seen it before.
    How much was it when you bought it?

When did you buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      How much was it when you bought it?

When did you buy it?
      I only bought it about 3 months ago or so. It was at GC and they mispriced it, I stole it from them with the case wrenches and bar for the amazing price of $600.00. The only "great deal" I have ever gotten.

Comment

You said, "but I have no idea how much this guitar is worth." So how do you know that $600 was a good deal then?
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          You said, "but I have no idea how much this guitar is worth." So how do you know that $600 was a good deal then?
          Ray Charles can look on Musicians Friend and see that new Jacksons are $2000.00+. My question of the current value has to do with when it was made effecting the resale value, I was inquiring so I would know whether to price in line with newer Rhoads models that I see on ebay or if it should be priced differently.

Comment

Actually, Ray is dead. And he couldn't see anyway. But if he was alive, he could see that your '89 Rhoads wouldn't be worth the modern era Rhoads with its lesser Jackson pickups and JT-590 trem than the Duncans and Floyd Rose. Plus, I bet yours has the tall skinny frets which the modern era has jumbo 6100's. Unless it's unusually special, no older Jackson will be worth what they are new. Unfortunately it's not the best time right now to get the most of a sale these days. I remember a time when your guitar would easily have gotten $1000, but you just can't get that today.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The market on used Jacksons is really weak right now. Don't sell unless you absolutely have to. You'd probably get more than $600 for it, but I doubt you'd get much more than $900, if that. I'm guessing more like $800 unless you luck out and find just the right buyer.

That era is a weird one for the Rhoads guitars, because they fell a bit out of fashion in the late '80s and don't seem to have been produced in the same numbers as before. Most of the folks looking for '80s Rhoads want San Dimas-era guitars with the specific feature set those had (closer to Randy's specifications).
              Last edited by pro-fusion; 09-29-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                Actually, Ray is dead. And he couldn't see anyway. But if he was alive, he could see that your '89 Rhoads wouldn't be worth the modern era Rhoads with its lesser Jackson pickups and JT-590 trem than the Duncans and Floyd Rose. Plus, I bet yours has the tall skinny frets which the modern era has jumbo 6100's. Unless it's unusually special, no older Jackson will be worth what they are new. Unfortunately it's not the best time right now to get the most of a sale these days. I remember a time when your guitar would easily have gotten $1000, but you just can't get that today.
                Thanks for the info, it is just what I needed. I am not a Floyd guy so I know nothing about the different models. The pickups were aweful, I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck ala Randy. Great guitar, I hope I can hang on to it.

Comment

I think it's worth $1400 bucks. How about you?
                  Last edited by neilli; 09-29-2010, 08:35 PM.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Damn, I think I got screwed with the one I bought for $750 back in 2005. It's older (1992), pure white only, and has an issue with the headstock inlay. Guess it's a keeper for now. I've thought of giving it the "Stryper" treatment because it sounds just like Stryper with these pickups and boost.

Don't sell your original pickups or if you do, to me for a really cheap price I love sucky old Jackson pickups. Duncan Distortion is good in my Kelly, but it doesn't sound like Stryper

Comment

Working...
                    X