Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy question for trans owners

Hello,
    Just placed on order for the SL2H Soloist in the Transparent Black color; it will take up to 90 days to arrive As excited as I am my only concern is this: the flame maple top...while beautiful when done correctly can also look horrible when attention to matching pieces isn't exercised. I've noticed that for the most part the production made Soloists, while not book matched, are cosmetically acceptable and look "great" However, I've also noticed (and mostly on trans black examples) some unacceptable ones. I've seen ones with two very different colors I.E. black on one side, brown on the other, examples where there is flame on one side and none on the other?? I would think for the near two thousand dollars I will be paying for this USA manufactured guitar I would receive some piece of mind?

So, I contacted Jackson via email and four days later they basically told me that it would be a gamble and there would be no guarantee on what I would receive. The responder advised that the custom shop would be the route to go if I'm that concerned about it. Now, my dealer says he will reject the guitar if it isn't up to my standards, but I don't wanna have to go through that kinda hassle? All I want is a cosmetically acceptable top! My question for you guys is: What would I expect to pay for a custom shop model that ONLY has a bookmatched flame top as a "custom option"? :think:

If anyone has examples of their trans black soloists I would love to see them!! I'm happy to be here, looks like a decent place for Jackson enthusiasts.

Here is a link to a large shot of my RR1T trans blue. I'll put the smaller version in the thread below. I took the gamble and ended up with a pretty good job. I think the fact that the laminate is fairly thin makes them a little easier to match up probably.

http://members.shaw.ca/hellbat/rr1_fence_2.jpg

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I started a thread a long time ago about this subject. I think that you do not need to worry, the color contrast almost always come from the picture and the camera and light angle. That's why it's always so difficult to get a good pic of a transparent finish.
      What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"? I talk to him every day.

Comment

I have the same concern. I personally won't buy any kind of flame or quilt-top guitar (Jackson or otherwise) without seeing it first. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          I have the same concern. I personally won't buy any kind of flame or quilt-top guitar (Jackson or otherwise) without seeing it first. :dunno:
          +1.

Trans Black is usually saved for the rejects that don't have good tops.

Comment

I worry about the natural and lighter trans fnishes with flame tops. The cross grains are a much darker wood and make the guitars look like they have a criss cross pattern.

Comment

I know this isn't any help, but I bought a USA KV2 in 2001 and it is tobacco sunburst. The top is sweet, not perfectly bookmached, but sweet. Then I recently bought a CS KV2 in Amber sunburst and the top on that, although not perfectly bookmatched can easily rival a PRS. Simply beautiful and puts the USA top to shame.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Hmmm well, as of right now I'm taking the gamble of getting a production model; does anyone have any idea about the custom shop route? price wise?

Comment

You'd have to check with a dealer.

Comment

90 Days? ebay is full of em. Also a dealer on here Piney Hills has a SL2HT in trans black in stock. Hardtails rock.. but here is my SL1T in Transblack i think it looks great.. but you be the judge.. And dont worry about Jackson. They dont just throw some stuff together. atleast with the usa models LOL

Last edited by Corpsegrinder88; 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Ya, that one looks fine! I saw the one on Piney Hills website...but, I wanted a Floyd on mine. Thanks alot for all the responses; always down to see more pics or get more opinions!

Comment

Hell yeah dude. dont worry it will be a great looking and even better player.. sucks about the wait. Im pretty sure one of the dealers i saw on here had a SL2H in stock as well..

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Soloist-...#ht_1121wt_911

not a dealer here but in stock and no wait..

Comment

I've very, very rarely seen badly matched tops on the Jacksons. Honestly, the ONLY one that stands out in my mind is one that was for sale on a popular store's site earlier this year that was a natural top....the flame was barely noticeable and it was actually parallel to the neck (as opposed to how you normally see flame tops).

But that one in the link above is perfect, IMO. I wouldn't stress too much about what you'll get on your order.

Comment

Here's a shot of my CS Soloist. I really need to take some of my own pics

Last edited by MetalDaze; 10-01-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X