RR1 Bengal fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 Bengal fix?

Not gonna rant twice on this forum but my "new" RR1 Bengal arrived with the trem lowered all the way down to the bottom of the cavity. The Floyd base plate is flush against the rout and the post receptacles. Range of motion is severely limited and the movement is super stiff. Can't raise the Floyd up as the string height is already almost too high off the fret board. Looks like I'll have to have the rout deepened because Jackson won't do it as warranty work -- I'm technically not the original owner. Anyone on here ever have this done? How'd it turn out? I'm looking for suggestions as to a reputable and highly skilled luthier who can handle that as well as matching the paint when it's done. Any help?
    Last edited by vector; 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM.

How does the neck look?

Comment

there is no way the trem should sit that low. I would really have the neck looked at and see if the nut has a huge shim under it. If that guitar was made properly you should have low action with the bottom of the floyd baseplate being almost dead nuts even with the top of the route. Something seems fishy on this one. got any pics of whats going on?

Comment

I have done it. It isn't bad if you have the right floyd recess route. Also a sharp bit. Ease into the first cut so not to chip the finish. You can simply black out the cut area if you wish or you can try to match the paint.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
          How does the neck look?
          Neck looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            I have done it. It isn't bad if you have the right floyd recess route. Also a sharp bit. Ease into the first cut so not to chip the finish. You can simply black out the cut area if you wish or you can try to match the paint.
            LOL! I don't have a router, let along a sharp bit. Even if I did I would be most hesitant to attempt this first time on a 1800 dollar USA guitar....

Comment

Originally posted by Tmoran View Post
              there is no way the trem should sit that low. I would really have the neck looked at and see if the nut has a huge shim under it. If that guitar was made properly you should have low action with the bottom of the floyd baseplate being almost dead nuts even with the top of the route. Something seems fishy on this one. got any pics of whats going on?
              Damn right somethings fishy here. Primarily Jackson's quality control! All that aside, it's not the nut- string height at the locking nut is just right. While I can't really get a decent camera shot of it, I'm 99.9 % certain it's that the depth of the trem cavity. I'm hoping that when Jackson fixes this, they won't overlook the fact that by lowering the trem about a 1/8- 1/4 inch, the block will stick out a little more beneath...

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                LOL! I don't have a router, let along a sharp bit. Even if I did I would be most hesitant to attempt this first time on a 1800 dollar USA guitar....
                I think Mike is saying... He can do it.

And I bet he can.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  I think Mike is saying... He can do it.

And I bet he can.
                  If options A, B & C, posted in the original rant thread, don't pan out, I'll be looking for any and all help. If Mike can help, then I might be calling on him...

Comment

Working...
                  X