Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I trade my SL1 for an RR1? (Poll attached)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I trade my SL1 for an RR1? (Poll attached)

Okay, here's the deal. There an RR1 available locally in Eerie Dess Swirl. The asking price is $1249.00 with hardshell case and it appears to be in great shape. I have three USA Jacksons; 2 SL2H's and an SL1. I rarely play the SL1 because I prefer the 2-hum config.

RR1 Pros:

It's a USA
    The Eerie Dess looks sweet

Cons:

Sitting down with it
    22 frets

So in light of this, what do you think? If the Sl1 were my only Soloist I wouldn't even consider it. But since it's not and since I rarely play it, that changes things somewhat.

So what sayeth the JCF?
    Yes. You'll love the RR1.
    64.44%
    No. Are you crazy???
    31.11%
    Undecided.
    4.44%
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Tough call sorry I can't decide.LOL
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Do it, my RR1 is great, however it won't balance as nice as a soloist (a little heavy at the headstock end), but you can sit with it if you put the little (bottom) fin in between your legs

Comment

Since you already have soloists and don't dig the hss, then do it...provided you don't take too much of a hit with the trade.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The SL1 is USA too, which essentially cancels out one of your pros.

Stick with the SL1. 24 frets, and it can do anything the RR1 can. Plus, if you wanted to use it in a blues band (with age, these idiotic and frankly dangerous things become more desirable), you wouldn't look like a total goofball.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

That's a really personal choice. The RR is my axe of choice, I have 2. But I also have a Soloist that I love. The Soloist is definatly more comfortable sitting down to play but the RR I find a nicer balance to when standing up.

Comment

Taking the RR will give you a third guitar you will ACTUALLY use, so it's better than having a third Soloist you never put fingers on. And the RR has a different tone shaping than the Soloists, too, so it won't sound the same anyway.

Playing sitting down is not a problem at all, the habit comes quite naturally and quickly, it's even more comfortable to play than the more traditionally shaped guitars because you sit correctly and not leaning forwards, the neck is also higher and thus easier to play. And it doesn't balance as when you're sitting with a trad guitar.

The 22 frets don't need to be a problem either : of course it feels different and you have the sensation something is missing, but let's face it : 22 frets are enough most of the time, it's not like you need the highest notes in EVERY song. And for the times when you'll need the extra frets, you still have two Soloists to pull out !

I say go with the RR, at least you'll have 3 guitars you really use, and besides the EDS finish looks killer !

Comment

Since you don't already have a RR1 and you already have three soloist, this seems like a no-brainer.

Comment

I'd go for 'No', but I'd drop the 'Are you crazy?!' bit Of course, If I were you I'd have 3 SL1s, so there's that LOL
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    RR1 Pros:

It's a USA
                    The Eerie Dess looks sweet

Cons:

Sitting down with it
                    22 frets
                    I'd put the eerie dess into the cons and sitting down with a rhoads as a clear pro!
                    now, it's up to you of course which finish you like, but anyway, IMO there is no guitar more comfy sitting down than a rhoads.
                    depends on your preference I guess...
                    but since you'd still have two soloists left, you could easily give it a try.
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I'd trade the SL1 for the RR1.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd say go for it. 22 vs 24 frets isn't a big deal (do you use the 23rd and 24th frets?) and if you don't use the SL1 anyway... you're not supposed to be sitting down when playing anyway

myself I would only get a V if it was really cheap, played nice and I had space left on a suitable wall (which I don't as I don't have any suitable wall at all)
                        I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

I'd do it. Get the RR1

Comment

Originally posted by grim View Post
                            the sl1 is usa too, which essentially cancels out one of your pros.

Stick with the sl1. 24 frets, and it can do anything the rr1 can. Plus, if you wanted to use it in a blues band (with age, these idiotic and frankly dangerous things become more desirable), you wouldn't look like a total goofball.
                            lol
                            Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
                            Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
                            Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
                            Gretsch G6128T-TVP
                            Gibson LP Traditional
                            Gibson J-185 EC
                            Hagstrom XL5
                            Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
                            Walden T550 EC

Comment

If you don't like the HSS config and rarely play why keep it? I'd go for the RR1 in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X