1986 soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 soloist

The price is about 1200 euros. A good deal or not?

This one: http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/tori/460227.jpg

Comment

Prices in Europe are different than in the USA. If this is a USA made soloist than it is most likely a good deal in Europe.

Comment

I know that USA Jacksons are rarer in Europe, so it's difficult for me to make an exact comparison.

However, from my perspective, the Kahler fulcrum trem kills that guitar. It's a low-quality trem that can't be retrofitted for a better one without extensive body modifications. Very few USA Jacksons were ever built with that trem because it's such a piece of crap. In the USA, I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it. And so you know where I'm coming from, I recently payed about $1,200 for an '86 Soloist in that exact color with a Kahler 2300 flatmount trem.

Comment

I wouldn't say the Kahler is crap, but yeah it does hurt it. BC Rich guys seem to prefer the Kahlers over OFR's, so go figure. I think the SSS thing hurts it as well, as most Jackson guys are going to want a bridge hum. Good deal though? No clue.

Comment

Hey the person selling that is on this forum.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              Very few USA Jacksons were ever built with that trem because it's such a piece of crap. In the USA, I wouldn't pay more than $700 for it. And so you know where I'm coming from, I recently payed about $1,200 for an '86 Soloist in that exact color with a Kahler 2300 flatmount trem.
              I would not buy a guitar with a Kahler...

Comment

That's Pebber's (Peter) guitar. The trem is certainly an oddity, but I've had no experience of them so can't comment. For what it's worth, it was featured in a european flyer for Jackson back in the day...
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah the BC guys like the Kahler mounted trems, not the fulcrums or the shitty spyder models

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                    For what it's worth, it was featured in a european flyer for Jackson back in the day...
                    It's famous!

Comment

USA Jacksons cost 2000 - 28000 € in Europe so for the money you have a nice deal here... see if you like the guitar in itself. I like the finish, but not the pickup conf, and it doesn't LOOK very high-end to me...

Comment

I for one like that type kahler better than the other kinds, its more like a jt-6 but harder steel......yea I know
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
                          Hey the person selling that is on this forum.
                          Yep, it´s me I bought this beauty from Peter some time ago. I like this guitar a lot but I need cash to fund another cool USA Jackson. To forum members the price will be lower => 1100 euros. But I guess that soon this thread should head to classified section if I will write more...pm if interested, thanks!

Comment

The biggest problem with the Kahler Fulcrum is that you can't replace it with an OFR or Schaller Floyd without removing the trem posts, doweling, and redrilling. The Fulcrums I've played don't stay in tune very well.

Otherwise, I really love that guitar and would probably have found a way to acquire it, since I wouldn't mind a 3-Tite Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                              The biggest problem with the Kahler Fulcrum is that you can't replace it with an OFR or Schaller Floyd without removing the trem posts, doweling, and redrilling. The Fulcrums I've played don't stay in tune very well.

Otherwise, I really love that guitar and would probably have found a way to acquire it, since I wouldn't mind a 3-Tite Soloist.
                              Hey, Kahler Fulcrum is not THAT bad! It´s not as good as OFR but I have played with this guitar in practice and in gig with success so it´s not a total bomb which should be replaced asap to another...

Comment

Working...
                              X